Premier League round-up: Chelsea and Manchester City keep pace

Published Add your comment

Football News

Chelsea and Manchester City both secured wins to keep pace in the Premier League title race.

Chelsea beat Hull City 2-0 at Stamford Bridge while Manchester City followed up their midweek triumph over Roma with a 1-0 victory at the King Power Stadium against Leicester City.

It was an afternoon of few goals in the 3pm kick-offs, with Manchester United and Liverpool playing tomorrow afternoon.

Chelsea ran out relatively comfortable winners, Eden Hazard opening the scoring after just seven minutes. They were frustrated by a solid Hull City team until the 68th minute, when Diego Costa finished off a lovely pass from Eden Hazard to make it 2-0.

Hull had Tom Huddlestone sent off for a nasty tackle on Filipe Luis just prior to Costa's second, while Gary Cahill was fortunate to stay on the pitch for Chelsea. Shortly before Huddlestone was given his marching orders, Cahill, who was already on a yellow card, dived in the box and probably should have received a second card.

At the King Power, it was a former-Chelsea man in Frank Lampard that got the scoring going for Manchester City.

Without Edin Dzeko, the Bosnian was injured in the warm-up and replaced by youngster Jose Angel Pozo, City laboured in attack despite the return of Yaya Toure and David Silva to the starting eleven.

Another returnee, Vincent Kompany, was forced off injured in the second half, and Manchester City fans face an anxious wait to determine the severity of the problem.

Elsewhere at 3pm

Strugglers Burnley took three points off Southampton after Dusan Tadic missed a second half penalty and Ashley Barnes scored the only goal of the game shortly after. A big three points for Burnley with the 1-0 win.

Aston Villa battled on with 10 men for more than an hour after Kieran Richardson was controversially sent off after 32 minutes. Eventually West Brom took advantage through Craig Garnder, earning Alan Irvine a precious three points.

The other two games ended 1-1 as Crystal Palace and Stoke scored within two minutes of each other at Selhurst Park - James McArthur for Palace on 11 minutes and Peter Crouch for Stoke.

Jordi Gomez gave Gus Poyet's side the lead via a hugely contentious penalty after 22 minutes at the Stadium of Light only for Stewart Downing to equalise on the half hour mark.

Do YOU want to write for GiveMeSport? Get started today by signing-up and submitting an article HERE:

Manchester City
Premier League

Article Comments

Read more

Report author of article

Please let us know if you believe this article is in violation of our editorial policy, please only report articles for one of the following reasons.

Report author


This article has been written by a member of the GiveMeSport Writing Academy and does not represent the views of or SportsNewMedia. The views and opinions expressed are solely that of the author credited at the top of this article. and SportsNewMedia do not take any responsibility for the content of its contributors.

Want more content like this?

Like our GiveMeSport Facebook Page and you will get this directly to you.

Already Subscribed to Facebook, don't ask me again

Follow GiveMeSport on Twitter and you will get this directly to you.

Already Following, don't ask me again

Like our GiveMeSport Page and you will get this directly to you.

Already Subscribed to G+, don't ask me again