Albert Ebosse killed by 'brutal aggression'

Published Add your comment

Football News

New tests show that JS Kabylie striker Albert Ebosse's death was caused by 'brutal aggression', rather than the projectiles thrown at him during the game, as was the original suggestion.

The 24-year-old was the victim of a crowd attack during his club's 2-1 defeat in Algeria in August, where fans threw sharp objects at the player as he left the pitch. 

However, after the family of the footballer requested further investigation, tests carried out by a pathologist have shown that the death was caused by some sort of beating, leading to claims of a locker room attack.


Updated results of the post-mortem show that the original report was inaccurate, for claiming that it was the sharp slate threw by fans that killed him.

In fact, the new results show that Ebosse had suffered upper body injuries (showed signs of struggle), a rupture of the cervical vertebrae and a wound to the shoulder, as well as the indentation to the skull.

New findings have been sent to both the Cameroonian and Algerian authorities for further action.


It was through the family's determination that further tests were arranged, after Algerian sports minister Mohamed Tahmi originally said Ebosse was killed from the objects thrown at him.

The family claimed that they have pushed the Cameroonian authorities and the Confederation of African Football to take further action following the findings.

And they also added that since the death to their family member, neither the player's club, nor the Algerian league have provided them with the compensation that they had been promised.


The striker finished as Kabylie's top scorer last season, netting 21 times in 41 competitive appearances.

On the day of the player's death, he had scored his team's only goal during the 2-1 defeat, which ultimately caused the angry fans to attack the players.

The no.9 shirt has since been retired by the club, following the death of the key player. When the season resumed in September, all matches were preceded with a one-minute silence in memory of Ebosse.

As a result of the death, both the stadium was closed for good and the club were banned from pan-African competitions for two years.


Article Comments

Read more

Report author of article

Please let us know if you believe this article is in violation of our editorial policy, please only report articles for one of the following reasons.

Report author


This article has been written by a member of the GiveMeSport Writing Academy and does not represent the views of or SportsNewMedia. The views and opinions expressed are solely that of the author credited at the top of this article. and SportsNewMedia do not take any responsibility for the content of its contributors.

Want more content like this?

Like our GiveMeSport Facebook Page and you will get this directly to you.

Already Subscribed to Facebook, don't ask me again

Follow GiveMeSport on Twitter and you will get this directly to you.

Already Following, don't ask me again