Everton boss Roberto Martinez has revealed that winger Christian Atsu could return to the club within the next two to three weeks, reports the club's official site.
The Ghanaian ace, who has enjoyed a steady opening to the season at Goodison Park, picked up a hamstring injury whilst playing against Krasnodar earlier this month, and was ultimately sent back to his parent club Chelsea.
Martinez, though, has insisted that he doesn't think the injury is serious, and expects the player to return to Merseyside in the near future.
Speaking ahead of his side's clash with Southampton today, the Everton boss said: “We have sent him back to Chelsea and he’s receiving medical attention there,” said the Blues boss.
“We’re working together with them to make sure he comes back as quickly as possible.
“We’re pretty confident that he’s not going to be too bad.
“These sorts of injuries happen to players like Christian who are sprinters.
“With these muscle injuries you have to monitor them and be careful they are fully fit.
“We’re trying to make sure he’s back in the next two to three weeks maximum.”
Premier League fixtures
Without Atsu, then, Everton will be desperate to continue to climb up the Premier League table today by securing all three points at the St Mary's against Southampton.
The Toffees will certainly head into the game in great spirits after a strong run of results, whilst Saints have endured a torrid time of late, having lost their last five fixtures.
Chelsea, meanwhile, will have to wait until Monday evening for their Premier League fixture as they travel to the Britannia Stadium to take on Stoke City.
Do YOU want to write for GiveMeSport? Get started today by signing-up and submitting an article HERE: https://www.givemesport.com/writeforgms