Several stars were missing from WWE’s latest pay-per-view, Royal Rumble, last Sunday, but it turns out that the WWE made a specific request that one of them compete at the huge event in Philadelphia.
Legendary wrestler Chris Jericho was asked by WWE to appear in the 30-man Royal Rumble, which ended with Roman Reigns stealing the show and the opportunity of main eventing WrestleMania 31 in March.
Royal Rumble is one of the WWE’s biggest pay-per-views but last Sunday the huge event flattered to deceive somewhat. Fans were bitterly disappointed with the way the 30-man Royal Rumble enfolded, with popular wrestler Daniel Bryan exiting early.
WWE wanted Jericho to appear
Fans reacted negatively to Bryan’s early exit on social media, with #CancelWWENetwork trending worldwide during the event after the WWE’s Network cancellation page crashed.
It is unlikely fans would have been much happier had Jericho competed in the event, but nonetheless, it’s interesting that WWE asked him to perform and not stars such as Randy Orton and Sheamus.
- WWE: Chris Jericho says he plans to only wrestle part-time from now
- John Cena responds to Royal Rumble furore with pointless tweet
- Vince McMahon's reaction to Royal Rumble furore proves he's lost the plot
“WWE contacted Chris Jericho on January 19th and asked him to be a surprise entrant for the 30-man Royal Rumble main event but he declined the offer,” NoDQ reported. “Jericho is currently working some WWE live events but has wanted his return to TV to mean something more than just a quick appearance.”
Jericho has officially retired from full-time wrestling as of this year and maintains that he will only be coming back on a part-time basis. The superstar has previously said that he will only appear in house shows and not on television. However, it’s clear that WWE is not happy with Jericho’s current stance but the star wrestler remained firm with his decision to decline the Royal Rumble offer.
Can Reigns recover from Royal Rumble?
Meanwhile, Roman Reigns won Royal Rumble and booked his place WrestleMania 31. The superstar wrestler will main event WWE’s biggest event of the year, but some fans feel that the star is not ready to challenge for the WWE Heavyweight Championship.
Reigns has been heavily criticized for his acting work, particularly on the mic. Some fans feel that Reigns doesn’t deserve the opportunity to main event WrestleMania just yet, but their opinions don’t represent the whole of the WWE Universe.
So what do you think WWE fans? Did Jericho make a mistake by not competing at Royal Rumble? Have WWE made their own mistake by pushing Roman Reigns’ character too much? Leave your thoughts in the comments box below.
Do YOU want to write for GiveMeSport? Get started today by signing-up and submitting an article HERE: https://www.givemesport.com/writeforgms