Leicester overrun Southampton in FA Youth Cup

Published Add your comment

Football News

Southampton 0-2 Leicester City

Southampton under 18s faced a tough Leicester defence in the FA Youth Cup fifth round at St Mary’s on a bitterly cold Thursday night.

The first 10 minutes looked promising for the home side with a chance early on cleared off the line by Leicester’s Cedric Kipre; it should have been the first goal of the game.

Leicester won the first free kick in the middle of the pitch which was played short. Brandon Fox ran down the left wing putting in a dangerous cross which Southampton were unable to clear their lines clear. The first goal was scored in the ninth minute after the ball fell to Keenan King who hit it low past the goalkeeper.

Will Wood has seen himself break through the ranks of the under 21 team this season seeing the left full back slotting in at centre-half but seemed optimistic even with the 2-0 home defeat.

He said: “Yeah very disappointing obviously we played very well at the start of the game I mean if we converted the two chances we had early on it could have been 2-0 to us”

Shortly after the first goal was in the net, Kyle Clinton went down with what looked like a horrific injury. He was eventually stretchered off with Wood converting to a centre-half.

This looked to rattle the Hampshire side with the team unable to get the ball forward much, with them not getting the ball in the final third as much as they would like.

Leicester were the team which capitalised in the first half with them scoring another goal on the 34th minute, Layton Ndukwu fired an unstoppable shot across Harry Isted to double the visitor's lead..

Southampton looked lively throughout the second half creating better chances for themselves and maybe should have come back into the game, but the West Midlands sides defence was too difficult to break down.

Anthony Limbrick talked said: “I think there were a couple of individual errors for the goals, I thought team wise we did okay but it wasn't our best performance”

High pressure tactics

There looked to be a lot of promise within the Saints side with a few of the players looking impressive on the ball, butLeicester's game plan looked to overwhelm the youngsters which saw them win the game comfortably in the end.

A last minute penalty decision was denied for the visitors with the referee deciding to go against the decision on the night.

Dan Demik came on for the Saints to have the best chance of the game for the home side with an effort curling into the goal, but a magnificent save by Max Smith-Varnham pushed it onto the crossbar.

Do YOU want to write for GiveMeSport? Get started today by signing-up and submitting an article HERE:

Leicester City
FA Cup

Article Comments

Read more

Report author of article

Please let us know if you believe this article is in violation of our editorial policy, please only report articles for one of the following reasons.

Report author


This article has been written by a member of the GiveMeSport Writing Academy and does not represent the views of or SportsNewMedia. The views and opinions expressed are solely that of the author credited at the top of this article. and SportsNewMedia do not take any responsibility for the content of its contributors.

Want more content like this?

Like our GiveMeSport Facebook Page and you will get this directly to you.

Already Subscribed to Facebook, don't ask me again

Follow GiveMeSport on Twitter and you will get this directly to you.

Already Following, don't ask me again

Like our GiveMeSport Page and you will get this directly to you.

Already Subscribed to G+, don't ask me again