Top welterweight contender, Hector Lombard has been pulled from a number one contender's bout at UFC 186 after failing drugs test earlier this year.
Lombard was due to face off against Rory MacDonald at UFC 186 in April but the UFC have now scrapped that bout after Lombard failed a test at UFC 182. The 37-year-old failed the test for the steroid, desoxymethyltestosterone, also known as 'DMT' which is one of the first 'designer' steroids to be made.
MacDonald to get a title shot?
With the announcement of Lombard being pulled and receiving a temporary suspension, it has paved for the way for Rory MacDonald to get the title shot he was originally promised. MacDonald was set to fight for the number one contendership for the third straight fight in a row, after previously being winning it against Tarec Saffiedine and Tyron Woodley.
Now though, with Johny Hendricks set to face Matt Brown and the champ, Robbie Lawler, wanting to fight in the summer, the stars have seemingly aligned for the protege of Georges St-Pierre.
Both fans and MacDonald will feel justified by this fight, if it's made, and that MacDonald won't have to face off against a possible cheat.
Lombard not told his fight was pulled?
Earlier in the day, Lombard had spoken out saying that he heard the news his fight was pulled was via a text from journalist, Ariel Helwani.
Despite this, the Nevada Athletic Commission said that they received the drugs test results from UFC 182 on January 13. Then there's the fact the fight with between Lombard and MacDonald was announced on January 17, four days afterwards, which only confuses things further.
That mystery will be resolved on another day but right now, things don't look good for the UFC right now and situations like this won't help.
Do YOU want to write for GiveMeSport? Get started today by signing-up and submitting an article HERE: https://www.givemesport.com/writeforgms