Liverpool fans heading to watch their side face Manchester United on Sunday will catch a welcome glimpse of their side's future stadium as building works on the site progress at a steady rate according to Liverpool FC’s operations director Andrew Parkinson.
The new steel structure, made from local red sandstone, will add a supplementary 8,500 seats to the Anfield ground, making the total capacity of the stadium 54,022. In a new interview, Liverpool's operations director Parkinson has said that he is "looking forward to supporters finally being able to see the stand starting to emerge" after weeks of preliminary work on site.
Higher capacity, same stadium
With the foundation works of the new main stand firmly in place, Parkinson has revealed that they are now "in the process of erecting the steel and that’s all coming up very quickly". The operations director has also said that the Hillsborough memorial will be placed in safe storage whilst the building works take place.
However, he also revealed that once the renovation had been completed in the 2016/17 season, the memorial to the victims of the Hillsborough disaster would be re-located to a "specially designed colonnade", accessible from the Main Stand. The famous Shankly Gates of the Reds' stadium have also had to be temporarily taken down as part of the on-going building works.
Looking to the future without forgetting the past
With a new structure coming into place at Anfield, Parkinson has also been keen to re-iterate that it is "really important that it has a leaning to the past and our heritage as well". For the head of operations, it is vital that "you feel you’re still at Anfield", despite it being a new, more modern facility.
In the meantime, building works are said to absolutely on track for a scheduled opening in the 2016/17 season.