Hull KR trounce Warrington Wolves to close the gap

Super League: Hull KR 36-10 Warrington Wolves

It was a shock defeat for Warrington, who have now won only five of their last ten.

Conversely, the win for KR puts them on the same numbers of points as eighth positioned Hull FC, both teams being two points behind Warrington with a game in hand.

Warrington struck first after Clark had charged down a kick and gave the Wolves great position within Hull territory. The try came from a barging run by Chris Hill, who sailed past 3 defenders to ease under the posts on 10 minutes.

Patton converted the try and the Wolves led. It was to be, however, their last points for almost 50 minutes.

Key moment

Neither side took a hold of the game, nor could they find the openings for any points.
It seemed like 0-6 would be the score going into the halftime break, but good hands from Hull on the halfway line, with a looping pass from Kelly, found Sio in space on the wing.

A late shimmy gave him a metre and he beat Ratchford to dive into the corner.

The Rovers doubled their efforts three minutes later. A huge kick from Kelly was collected by Monaghan, but, in the immediate tackle from Welham, with both players lying flat out, the ball was dropped, and Mantellato collected for an easy score.

The score at the break was 10-6, with Mantellato converting his own try, but not Sio’s. Six minutes into the second half and Hull struck again.

Dixon received the ball on the left flank and the defence, having been drawn in by the lead runner, left a huge hole for the fullback to cruise through. 16-6 after the conversion.

Warrington had to suffer conceding another try before they scored one of their own.

A hanging kick by Kelly went out to the left wing, and Sio out-jumped his opposite number Ormsby to pat the ball down to Salter who had nothing to do but fall over.

Ormsby made amends some five minutes later. Good hands out to the left flank found Ratchford, who missed out a player to put the winger in the corner.

Warrington now trailed 22-10 with 20 minutes remaining, but could not press on any further for the comeback.


Kelly’s kicking game set up another try on 64 minutes. The scrum half took the ball down the blindside on the right, and the shortest of kicks bounced up for McCarthy to score.

The final try of the night came with seven minutes remaining. The game was well and truly sealed for the Rovers, and anything from this point was gravy.

A switch back to the left fooled the Wire defence and Welham crashed over on a solid inside line. With a penalty on 80 minutes, Hull KR made light work of a game that they would usually expect to lose.

Hull KR: Dixon, Sio, Salter, Welham, Mantellato, Blair, Kelly, Walker, Boudebza, Puletua, Larroyer, Horne, McCarthy (subs) Donaldson, Cox, Ollett, Greenwood
Tries: Sio, Mantellato, Dixon, Salter, McCarthy, Welham
Goals: Mantellato (6)

Warrington Wolves: Ratchford, Ormsby, T. King, Atkins, Monaghan, Brridge, Patton, Hill, Clark, Sims, Westwood, Laithwaite, Harrison (subs) Dwyer, Asotasi, Philbin, G. King
Tries: Hill, Ormsby
Goals: Patton

News Now - Sport News