Arsenal will meet the £8.4million release clause for La Masia product Sergi Samper, and get him to join them this summer, according to the Daily Mirror.
The Barcelona starlet could be set to move to England, where he would become a long-term replacement for captain Mikel Arteta. Indeed, with some of the world-class midfielders at Barcelona (Sergio Busquets, Javier Mascherano, Ivan Rakitic to name but a few), Samper is aiming to get more playing time.
Samper's release clause
The youngster has a release clause of £8.4m, which for a player of his quality and potential is very little at all. Despite that, he only played one game for Barcelona last season in the Champions League - against APOEL Nicosia.
SIGN UP NOW
Want to become a GMS writer? Sign up now and submit a 250 word test article: https://gms.to/haveyoursay4
Said to be the next Cesc Fabregas, Samper has played most of his Blaugrana career with Barcelona B but, according to reports, he believes he's outgrown the reserve side and would like more first-team football.
The next Fabregas?
Throwing back the years, Fabregas joined when he was 16 and ended up playing for the first-team, ultimately becoming a fan favourite in north London. With Samper the Gunners are not only getting a player who's a little bit older that Fabregas was, but he's also got some first-team experience, most notably with an appearance in the Champions League.
The right move?
Here are some of the pros and cons of signing the next Fabregas:
- Can fill the defensive midfielder slot Arsenal have been lacking
- In need of first team football and would be desperate to play for a club like Arsenal
- Said to be the next Fabregas (let's be honest that should be enough for Arsenal fans to want him at the club)
- Has got plenty of experience with his national team at the U21 level
- Won't have too many difficulties settling in with many Spanish players at Arsenal (Bellerin, Cazorla, Monreal, Arteta)
- Very young player
- Quite risky spending £8.4m on a 20-year-old with no real first-team experience in La Liga
- Might not suit the physical style of play of the Premier League
Arsenal fans, do you think signing Samper is a good idea at this stage? Let us know in the comment box below.