Real Madrid have informed Sergio Ramos that he won't be allowed to leave the club this summer according to the Guardian.
Ramos held a meeting with Real Madrid president Florentino Perez during the club's pre-season tour in China on Saturday evening. Reports in Spain claimed that the defender was close to agreeing a new contract at the Bernabeu that would end Manchester United's pursuit of him after building bridges with Perez during the meeting.
However the Guardian reports that the meeting went a little differently. Attended by Pérez, Ramos, José Ángel Sánchez, Madrid’s chief executive, and Ramos’s brother and agent, René, the Spanish international defender was informed that he would not be sold under any circumstances.
SUBMIT AN ARTICLE
Apply to become a GMS writer by signing up and submitting a 250 word test article: https://gms.to/haveyoursay5
That means a transfer to Manchester United this summer is highly unlikely now. Ramos has two years to run on his contract and is believed to have told his current employers he'd like to leave after not receiving assurances over his future.
The Red Devils have already had one bid in the region of £28 million turned down, but it seems as though it would be futile to open further talks with Real Madrid determined not to sell.
Manchester United are said to have previously issued Real Madrid an ultimatum as the look to sign David de Gea this summer involving Ramos.
The Red Devils will not listen to any offers for De Gea and won't sell him this summer unless Madrid include Ramos in their offer, even if it means letting the shotstopper walk away for nothing next year.
According to the Guardian, Perez also warned Ramos not to go public with his desire to leave, which Manchester United reportedly want him to do, in order to force a move. Instead he has been warned that all that will do is make his remaining time at the Bernabeu more difficult.
Madrid's position regarding Ramos has been established after the club faced a backlash for letting club legend Iker Casillas leave.
It looks as though the Sergio Ramos transfer saga is at an end. Neither Real Madrid or Manchester United wanted to be seen as the weaker or smaller club in the process and with both clubs refusing to budge it's all over.
It's hard to escape the feeling that Madrid have won though. They can sign De Gea for nothing next year - Manchester United are said to have conceded that he won't be staying at the club - while Ramos is under contract for two more years. If he refuses to sign a new deal he will be 31 by the time his contract is up and his options will be much more limited.
Have Manchester United made a mistake by insisting that Ramos has to be included in a deal for De Gea?
Do YOU want to write for GiveMeSport? Get started today by signing-up and submitting an article HERE: https://www.givemesport.com/writeforgms