Out-of-favour Crystal Palace striker Dwight Gayle could be on his way out of south London with Championship side Fulham readying a bid of £8 million plus add-ons for the striker, reports the Daily Mail.
The 24-year-old is seen as surplus to requirements at Alan Pardew's side, with the Eagles seemingly happy to accept less than their £10 million valuation for the forward.
As a result, Fulham are now confident that their bid will be accepted. This is the second time they have been linked with a move for Gayle this transfer window, the first being a loan offer.
BECOME A WRITER
Do you have what it takes? Sign up today and send over your 250 word test article: http://gms.to/haveyoursay3
Palace, though, had already accepted a similar bid for the Englishman earlier this week from Bristol City, but the deal has reportedly stalled as Gayle doesn’t want a move to Ashton Gate.
Gayle became a club-record signing in 2013 when he arrived from Peterborough for £6 million, but with the new arrivals of strikers Connor Wickham and Patrick Bamford, it appears Gayle has fallen further down the striker totem pole.
With 12 goals in 29 appearances for the Eagles, Gayle has shown that he has the ability to score on England's biggest stage, yet because of his lack of a physical presence, Crystal Palace manager Alan Pardew has his reservations over whether he can fulfil a lone striker role.
Speaking on Thursday, Pardew reiterated the club’s plan to move Gayle.
“He came and saw me at the start of the season to express a view to move elsewhere," Pardew said. 'I said, "OK, that's fine with me, we'll try to get you a club.”
News Now - Sport News
“Dwight last year was a little bit not involved in the first team. It's difficult to fit him into the way I play.”