Chelsea have no interest in cashing in on Willian despite the arrival of Pedro Rodriguez, a Stamford Bridge source has told The Mirror.
The Blues have now confirmed the capture of Barcelona's 28-year-old star after agreeing terms on a £21million deal on Wednesday.
It caps a sensational bit of business from Jose Mourinho, swooping for a player who seemed destined to join Chelsea's Premier League rivals Manchester United just 24 hours ago.
BECOME A WRITER
Do you have what it takes? Sign up today and send over your 250 word test article: https://gms.to/haveyoursay3
Upon hearing of Pedro's imminent arrival, Chelsea fans began to speculate that Willian's place in the team may have been wiped away. A tenuous report in the French media also claimed he had been offered to some of Europe's biggest clubs.
However, journalist Darren Lewis claims to have spoken to a well-placed source at the west London club, who confirmed that the Brazilian remains very much part of Mourinho's first-team plans.
Willian, coincidentally, arrived at Chelsea in very similar circumstances to that of Pedro. The former Shakhtar Donetsk star seemed set to move to Tottenham before Mourinho made a late £32m move.
It was a heavy price to pay for a man with little or no reputation in the English game, but his incredible workrate has won many Chelsea fans over.
While Willian will stay and compete with Pedro for game time, the same cannot be said for Juan Cuadrado, who is set to be sacrificed as a result of the Spaniard's arrival.
Cuadrado only arrived from Fiorentina in January, but at no point did the Colombian look to have won Mourinho over. Juventus are currently the only club with a firm interest in the 27-year-old.
Can Willian compete with Pedro for a first-team place or is he destined to warm the bench?
Do YOU want to write for GiveMeSport? Get started today by signing-up and submitting an article HERE: https://www.givemesport.com/writeforgms