Saido Berahino will be given extra time off by West Bromwich Albion in a bid to defuse the unsettling situation which reached boiling point earlier this week, after the England youngster took to Twitter publicly declaring that he will never play for Jeremy Peace again.
Transfer saga but no Peace made
The 22-year-old handed in a transfer request last month, only for Peace to reject it. The Baggies chairman also rejected four bids from Tottenham, with the final offer thought to be in the region of £23million.
In such a whirlwind transfer market it was expected that Berahino would be moving elsewhere and, with manager Tony Pulis leaving the England U21 forward out of recent Premier League games against Chelsea and Stoke City, it only seemed a matter of time before a transfer would be agreed.
BECOME A WRITER
Do you have what it takes? Sign up today and send over your 250 word test article: https://gms.to/haveyoursay3
Pulis has reportedly been left bitterly frustrated that a deal was not successfully negotiated, as Peace made his fifth personal statement on Tuesday evening.
The Hawthorns chairman hit out at Tottenham's Daniel Levy, accusing the Spurs chairman for attempting to purchase the striker too late in the transfer window.
“We have a key player who has been very unsettled by antics which were designed to get him out of our club cheaply," Peace said.
"Those tactics have continued despite my making our position clear in my first conversation with Daniel Levy on this subject in mid-August. I said selling Saido so late in the window was not on our agenda. We are now left with the task of repairing the damage created by this unfortunate episode.”
Berahino has been given until Monday to return back to training, but after his Twitter outburst there have been many negative reactions, including Sky Sports pundit Jamie Redknapp, who described the 22-year-old's behaviour as "appalling".
The Professional Footballers Association chief Gordon Taylor has also commented on the situation, urging both West Brom and Berahino to resolve the situation so that the striker can play an active role in the first half of the 2015/16 season.
What now for Saido? Who's to blame?
The midlands club had a rather successful transfer window, bringing in two strikers in Rickie Lambert and record signing Solomon Rondon, as well as capturing defenders James Chester and Jonny Evans.
The Baggies also purchased former Red Devils goalkeeper Anders Lindegaard, but with all these summer signings there still looms a black cloud over the whole Berahino saga - one that is unlikely to be settled until the next transfer window in January 2016.
There is hope that both the club and player can resolve their differences and that the talented youngster can continue playing football on a consistent basis.
Do the West Brom fans want to see Berahino in a Baggies shirt again? After such a public outburst will other Premier League clubs be put off signing the striker? Let us know what you think in the comments box below.
Do YOU want to write for GiveMeSport? Get started today by signing-up and submitting an article HERE: https://www.givemesport.com/writeforgms