Manchester United made a last-ditch attempt to sign Alexandre Pato before the transfer window closed on September 1, according to the Brazilian striker.
It was reported last month, by the Telegraph, that United had held talks with Pato - but were unsure about whether or not to conclude a deal for the Corinthians forward.
And now Pato - per the Daily Mail - has told Sportv: “Two hours before (the window closed) I had a very good offer from Manchester United.”
SUBMIT AN ARTICLE
Apply to become a GMS writer by signing up and submitting a 250-word test article: https://gms.to/haveyoursay5
Pato doesn’t reveal whether or not he accepted Manchester United’s offer, or why the transfer failed to materialise, but it shows the Red Devils were keen to further bolster their attacking options despite securing the services of Anthony Martial from AS Monaco.
Quite why United left it so late in the day to sign Pato, though, is mystifying.
United swerved a bullet by not signing Pato
It suggests the Red Devils were never entirely convinced about the former AC Milan striker, 26, and may have panicked with hours to go before the transfer window slammed shut.
Or perhaps Pato was told a few white lies by his agent in order to boost his confidence after a rough few years? We jest, of course, but the story does sound a little bizarre.
Manchester United had perfectly good reason to feel apprehensive about signing Pato, who was once widely expected to become football’s next global superstar.
Although the South American has continued to score goals on a semi-regular basis in recent seasons, a combination of injuries and a lack of focus has resulted in Pato failing to fulfil his immense potential.
Manchester United fans: would you have been happy with the signing of Alexandre Pato - or do you reckon he would have flopped at Old Trafford? Have your say by leaving a comment in the box below!
Do YOU want to write for GiveMeSport? Get started today by signing-up and submitting an article HERE: https://www.givemesport.com/writeforgms