Everton 1-1 Liverpool: Match Report

Published Add your comment

Football News

Liverpool once again threw away a lead as the Merseyside derby ended as a draw for the sixth time in seven meetings.

Brendan Rodgers' men went 1-0 up against Norwich City, Carlisle United and FC Sion before being pegged back soon after and the match against Everton was no different.

Danny Ings scored his third goal since moving to Liverpool from Burnley in the summer and looked as if the away side would go into half-time with a slender lead.


Want to become a GMS writer? Sign up now and submit a 250 word test article:

However, another poor display of defending allowed Romelu Lukaku to fire his fifth league goal of the season and grab a point for the Blues.

The match had many distinct attributes that are associated with the Merseyside derby. The game was heated from the first whistle, with Emre Can and Ross Barkley almost coming to blows midway through the first-half.

The game was open and it was waiting for a piece of magic to set Goodison Park alight.

However, there was a real lack of quality from both teams and not one individual took the initiative to grab the game by the scruff of the neck.

James Milner gave the game its first talking point when he was played through by Daniel Sturridge in the fifth minute, but Tim Howard was sharply off his line to deny the England international.

The Reds enjoyed a decent spell in Everton's half and Sturridge had two decent chances in a matter. He fooled both Phil Jagielka and Steven Naismith on the right-hand side but scuffed his shot from 18 yards wide and then looked destined to score from make-do winger Martin Skrtel following a Liverpool free-kick but Jagielka was there to the rescue to cut out the effort.

Ings has been credited for his hard work at the Reds and his relentless attitude won the ball for his side deep inside the Everton half but fired his shot over the bar after 14 minutes.

After a brief spell of each team feeling each other out, Philippe Coutinho supplied Milner with a divine chipped pass on the 25th-minute mark but the midfielder's effort from a tight angle hit the side netting.

Everton had their first real chance on the 28th minute. Barkley, the only local born player who started the match, whipped a fizzing free-kick into the box which found Naismith unmarked, but Simon Mignolet produced a smart reaction save to tip the effort over the bar.

Mignolet was at the rescue was again two minutes later. After good build-up play from the home side, James McCarthy picked up Gerard Deolofeu's pass and fired a ferocious shot that looked to be heading for the back of the net but Mignolet's diving stop kept the game at a stalemate.

After a period without threatening the Blues' goal, Sturridge once again left Naismith for dead on the 40th minute with some quick feet and spotted Alberto Moreno's searching run on the left-hand side but the Spaniard's shot was blocked by Jagielka.

The breakthrough finally came with just four minutes of the first-half to play. After failing to play Sturridge in who was wide open, Ings won his side a corner. The former Burnley man, who was called into Roy Hodgson's England squad this week, was left unmarked on the six-yard line and easily guided his effort past Tim Howard.

However, the home side weren't to go down without a fight and were soon back on level terms. Deolofeu whipped a dangerous, flat delivery in from the right-wing and Emre Can failed to clear the cross away. The ball fell kindly to Romelu Lukuku, who up to that point had been rationed with chances, and the Belgium international drove his effort into the bottom left corner to ensure his side went into half-time level.

Everton started the second period where they left off and Tyias Browning had a decent chance from a corner after 47 minutes, but his header was deflected over the bar. 

Lukaku then found himself with space on the Liverpool byline and his cross was headed in the direction of Barkley, but Mignolet's dive cut out the ball.

Both teams' back-four were resilient for the best part of a quarter-of-an-hour, but a smart through ball from Aaron Lennon in the 70th-minute mark found Lukaku unmarked, but he fired his shot straight at his international team-mate Mignolet.

Coutinho did not have the impact as expected in the match and was thwarted by McCarthy for the most part. However, in the 71st minute he drifted to the left-hand side, losing his marker and beat Lennon but his shot gave Howard a comfortable save to make. 

Lucas was lucky to not be dismissed by referee Mark Clattenburg for a trip on Ross Barkley who was breaking dangerously and the Brazilian was soon to be replaced by Joe Allen.

Lukaku almost gave Everton a late winner in the 89th minute when Lennon's cross found the striker at the back post but Can done well to block the effort. 

The result means that Liverpool have won just one of their last six league matches as Everton continue their hunt for a place in the top-four.

Do YOU want to write for GiveMeSport? Get started today by signing-up and submitting an article HERE:

Premier League
Romelu Lukaku
Danny Ings

Article Comments

Read more

Report author of article

Please let us know if you believe this article is in violation of our editorial policy, please only report articles for one of the following reasons.

Report author


This article has been written by a member of the GiveMeSport Writing Academy and does not represent the views of or SportsNewMedia. The views and opinions expressed are solely that of the author credited at the top of this article. and SportsNewMedia do not take any responsibility for the content of its contributors.

Want more content like this?

Like our GiveMeSport Facebook Page and you will get this directly to you.

Already Subscribed to Facebook, don't ask me again

Follow GiveMeSport on Twitter and you will get this directly to you.

Already Following, don't ask me again

Like our GiveMeSport Page and you will get this directly to you.

Already Subscribed to G+, don't ask me again