Everton fans' celebrations cost the team

Published 10 Comments

Football News

In a breathtaking and equally bizarre final 10 minutes at the Vitality Stadium in Bournemouth, at least ten visiting Everton fans were escorted away by the police and arrested.

To set the scene: Everton were winning the match 2-0 with 80 minutes on the clock. The game was rather lacklustre although Bournemouth had slowly been grinding back into the game with nothing to show for their efforts.

In the 80th minute, Bournemouth won a corner which was almost wasted by Matt Ritchie, failing to beat the nearest defender who headed the ball away. The header away dropped to Adam Smith on the edge of the box, who proceeded to rifle a shot into the top left corner - leaving no chance for the scrambling Tim Howard.


Want to become a GMS writer? Sign up now and submit a 250 word test article:

It was one of Bournemouth's first shots on net but the atmosphere turned on its head, the fans were almost willing the Cherries forward.

The constant pressure took its toll in the 87th minute as Junior Stanislas found space inside the box and delivered a cool finish beating Howard into the opposite corner to Smith's strike.

As the 90-minute mark approached, the board went up to indicate five minutes of added time. This added some nervous tension to the amazing atmosphere generated around the small stadium.

Everton were clearly desperate to salvage the win after being two goals ahead and drifting comfortably through the game ten minutes prior.

They knew they had time for one more good chance and - with a bit of luck and perseverance from Ross Barkley - found a way back in front. The ball bounced to the England international, who dispatched the shot with power in to the middle of the net, beating the helpless goalie with the sheer speed of the shot.

At that moment, at least a dozen Everton fans rushed over the barriers and onto the pitch, diving on to Barkley and celebrating with the other players.

This led to the police hauling the fans off the field in a moment of madness from the travelling support. This incident took a few minutes to resolve and forced the ref to add on even more time.

In the extra time added on (97th minute) young Stanislas followed the play and as the cross came in towards the young man, the stage was set for a last gasp winner.

With precision and no mistake, he headed the ball powerfully past Howard - his second of the match and securing a point for the Cherries.

Football is a sport where fans have the ability to influence the play, but the Everton fans took this a step too far, landing themselves with possible lifetime bans from the FA.

These crazy actions also added more time to the game, allowing the home side one more good chance to score which they duly took - just another classic Premier League moment.

Premier League

Article Comments

Read more

Report author of article

Please let us know if you believe this article is in violation of our editorial policy, please only report articles for one of the following reasons.

Report author


This article has been written by a member of the GiveMeSport Writing Academy and does not represent the views of or SportsNewMedia. The views and opinions expressed are solely that of the author credited at the top of this article. and SportsNewMedia do not take any responsibility for the content of its contributors.

Want more content like this?

Like our GiveMeSport Facebook Page and you will get this directly to you.

Already Subscribed to Facebook, don't ask me again

Follow GiveMeSport on Twitter and you will get this directly to you.

Already Following, don't ask me again