Andy Murray's father-in-law Nigel Sears due to be released from hospital

Published Add your comment

Football News

Andy Murray's father-in-law Nigel Sears is expected to be released from hospital on Sunday, the Australian Open has confirmed.

Sears, who is the coach of Ana Ivanovic, was in Rod Laver Arena on Saturday evening for the Serb's third-round match against American Madison Keys when he collapsed and had to be carried away on a stretcher.

The 58-year-old remained in Epworth Hospital in Melbourne on Saturday night while he underwent a series of tests but the 58-year-old is expected to be released on Sunday.

"My medical advice is that I will be allowed to leave the hospital shortly and I have been cleared to fly back to the UK in the next day or so," Sears said.

"I just wanted to express my sincerest thanks to the incredible people who came to my aid, as well as the brilliant staff both at the Australian Open and the Epworth Hospital.

"I feel truly grateful to everyone involved for the manner in which this has been handled.

"While I appreciate the level of media interest in this story I would prefer not to comment any further, thanks."

Andy Murray rushed to visit Sears in hospital on Saturday night following his four-set victory over Portugal's Joao Sousa, during which he was apparently unaware of the incident.

His customary on-court interview was cancelled and it was also announced he would not be giving a post-match press conference.

Sears' daughter and Murray's wife Kim has remained in the UK during the Australian Open as she is expecting her first child, which is due in February.

The match between Ivanovic and Keys was suspended for 50 minutes while Sears was taken to hospital, where it is understood he saw a cardiologist.

Jamie Murray told Press Association Sport on Saturday night that Sears was ''conscious, talking and sitting up''.

Sears received swift medical assistance and was soon carried away on a stretcher with his shirt off but conscious.

Ivanovic and Keys waited on court for around 10 minutes before they were informed play was suspended and both left the arena.

After a 50-minute delay, the players re-emerged and the match was resumed with Keys trailing 6-4 1-0. Keys went on to win the match 4-6 6-4 6-4.

It is the second time in three days Ivanovic has had her match stopped for a medical incident.

The world number 23's second round match against Anastasija Sevastova on Thursday was delayed by more than 25 minutes when a spectator fell down a set of stairs.

This is Sears' second spell with Ivanovic after he initially started with the Serb in 2011 and was reappointed as her coach in July last year.

Sears, a well-respected trainer in the UK, has also worked with Daniela Hantuchova and was captain of Britain's Fed Cup team from 2006.

Do YOU want to write for GiveMeSport? Get started today by signing-up and submitting an article HERE:


Article Comments

Read more

Report author of article

Please let us know if you believe this article is in violation of our editorial policy, please only report articles for one of the following reasons.

Report author


This article has been written by a member of the GiveMeSport Writing Academy and does not represent the views of or SportsNewMedia. The views and opinions expressed are solely that of the author credited at the top of this article. and SportsNewMedia do not take any responsibility for the content of its contributors.

Want more content like this?

Like our GiveMeSport Facebook Page and you will get this directly to you.

Already Subscribed to Facebook, don't ask me again

Follow GiveMeSport on Twitter and you will get this directly to you.

Already Following, don't ask me again

Like our GiveMeSport - Tennis Page and you will get this directly to you.

Already Subscribed to G+, don't ask me again