Brisbane Broncos thrash Wigan to wrap up World Club Series with game to spare

Michael Mcllorum was carried off on a stretcher in Wigan's defeat by Brisbane

Brisbane Broncos provided yet more embarrassment for Super League as the NRL comfortably wrapped up the 2016 Dacia World Club Series with a game to spare.

A 42-12 demolition of Wigan, which followed Sydney Roosters' equally ruthless 38-12 rout of St Helens 24 hours earlier, put the Australian clubs 2-0 up in the three-match series, leaving champions Leeds to salvage some pride in Sunday's World Club Challenge against North Queensland.

Wigan, like Saints, were handed a lesson in clinical finishing and their misery was compounded by the loss of England hooker Michael McIlorum with a broken and dislocated ankle.

That might also be a concern for Brisbane boss Wayne Bennett, who is the new England coach, but right now he will be more excited about the Broncos' prospects of going one better in 2016 after October's dramatic grand-final loss.

Beaten 14-12 in extra time by Bennett's Broncos a year ago, the Warriors were thought to have the best chance of gaining some overdue success for Super League but they were simply out-classed by opponents who not only ran harder and faster but produced some sublime moments of skill to which their hosts had no answer.

Half-back Kodi Nikorima, whose younger brother tormented St Helens 24 hours earlier, scored two of the Broncos' seven tries as he deputised superbly for the suspended Ben Hunt.

Winger Corey Oates also touched down twice and went desperately close to completing a hat-trick while former Huddersfield and Hull KR full-back Greg Eden scored a spectacular long-range try on his long-awaited debut for the Queensland club.

Wigan, who have not lost at the DW Stadium to a Super League team for almost 20 months, actually made a promising start with second rower Willie Isa and stand-off George Williams posing some problems for the Broncos defence but once Isa was held up over the line the game began to take on a familiar look.

Brisbane scored from their first meaningful attack, with Oates taking Darius Boyd's cut-out pass to dive over at the corner for a try confirmed by video referee Robert Hicks as he skirted the touchline.

The game was held up while McIlorum had treatment on the pitch before being carried off on a stretcher but the Australians were quickly back into their stride and Nikorima pounced for a second try in fortuitous fashion after Anthony Milford's grubber kick bounced back off a post.

Corey Parker's second conversion made it a flattering 12-0 but Wigan got themselves right back into it on 21 minutes when centre Dan Sarginson took a flat pass from second rower Liam Farrell to crash over for a try and Matty Smith's goal cut the deficit to just six points.

The game was in the balance at that point but it was put beyond the reach of the Super League side Brisbane once more demonstrated clinical finishing to carve out tries for second rower Matt Gillett and prop Jarrod Wallace in a decisive five-minute spell just before half-time, when the visitors led 24-6.

The Warriors continued to play with plenty of spirit and endeavour but it was simply not enough against their slick opponents, who struck on the counter-attack to score a fifth try on 52 minutes and put the game to bed.

Eden was denied by full-back Lewis Tierney as he went 50 metres upfield but Brisbane outflanked their hosts on the next play to work Oates over for his second try.

Nikorima then grabbed his second after following up Boyd's kick and Eden went 80 metres to touch down after a break out of defence, leaving Williams' 76th-minute try little more than consolation for well-beaten Wigan.

News Now - Sport News