The New Orleans Pelicans have finally made a decision.
After debating what to do with their most prized possession, Anthony Davis, the Pelicans have decided to shut down the star power forward for the season.
According to a tweet from NBA on ESPN a short time ago, New Orleans head coach Alvin Gentry confirmed the news.
Davis missed the second half of the Pelicans' Friday's 117-112 loss to the Portland Trail Blazers after colliding with C.J. McCollum. After the game, Gentry described the injury as a sore left knee and said Davis was held out as a precaution.
The Pelicans then went on to announce that Davis was out of tonight's game against the Clippers because of the injury. Now he's out for the season.
When asked about shutting down Davis on Saturday, Gentry said he would definitely be open to the idea.
"I wouldn't say no to that. I wouldn't say no to that," Gentry said Saturday. "I think we've gotta be smart collectively, along with him. And like I said, I think we'll know a lot more after they talk to the doctors today. And then I think there can be some decisions made. I think that's something that he would definitely have to consider."
With the Pelicans playoff hopes all but done it seems smart for them to not take any risks with their franchise player.
However, being shut down could potentially cost 'The Brow' $25 million, based on how the Derrick Rose rule would have entitled him to more money if he had been named to an All-NBA team. With Davis now missing the final chunk of the season, it severely dents his hopes of being one of those selections.