The Miami Heat have officially confirmed that Chris Bosh will not play again this season after both parties reached a mutual agreement.
The power forward had hopes of making a return for the Heat in the playoffs and tension began to grow this week between the player and the team as Bosh put pressure on the organisation to allow him to make a comeback.
The 32-year-old hasn't played since before the All-Star break after a blood clot was discovered in his left leg. It is the second consecutive year that Bosh's season has been ended by a blood clot issue after a similar problem on his lung saw his campaign end prematurely in 2014-15.
Have your say on GiveMeSport - NBA by taking part in our survey here: https://gms.to/1ZIq9kk
Bosh and the Heat released a joint statement after the team practiced in Toronto on Wednesday ahead of game two of their Eastern Conference semi-final matchup with the Toronto Raptors.
The announcement came a day after the National Basketball Players' Association (NBPA) got involved in the situation, on Bosh's request, and urged the player and the franchise to come to a resolution.
"The Miami Heat and Chris Bosh announce that Chris will not be playing in the remainder of the 2016 NBA Playoffs," the statement read. "The Heat, Chris, the doctors and medical team have been working together throughout this process and will continue to do so to return Chris to playing basketball as soon as possible."
The 11-time All-Star flew with the team to Toronto for game one and will remain with them throughout the playoffs and look to help the team in other ways, something he already did in the overtime victory over the Raptors on Tuesday.
Several players such as Joe Johnson and Goran Dragic credited Bosh with having a huge influence on the team recovering from a late game-tying half-court buzzer beater by Kyle Lowry to still emerge with the win.
Despite not being on the floor, Bosh's experience as a two-time champion will be of huge value to the Heat and head coach Erik Spoelstra.
"He's been around," Spoelstra said. "It's not like he's been away from the team. And I think that's helped. We talk all the time about leadership at all levels. Sometimes it's a different voice at a different time, and the guys have embraced that."
The joint statement between the Heat and Bosh has helped to ease a situation that almost looked like a standoff between the respective parties.
Bosh released his own statement in March indicating that he did not have deep vein thrombosis, another name for blood clots in the leg, and said he was positive he would return this season.
The Heat, however, released a statement of their own earlier that month stating that the player would not resume full basketball activities until September.
It is a hugely delicate situation and it is clear that the Miami Heat organisation is acting in the best interests of the player and his health comes before anything in this matter.
As a 13-year veteran in the league, Bosh's competitiveness is unquestionable, hence, why he was so eager to return to the court and help his team make a run for the NBA finals.
Dwyane Wade certainly hopes that the tough moment his teammate is going through will inspire every man on the Heat roster to step up their game.
"It makes you come out and just do a little bit more, because you've got somebody who would kill to be out there, who would do anything just to be on the floor," Wade said. "I take that into every game with me, for sure."
The Miami Heat will take to the floor again at the Air Canada Centre tonight for game two hoping to take a 2-0 series lead back to South Beach.