Neville has been out of action since before WrestleMania 32 after he fractured his ankle during a match with Chris Jericho in March earlier this year. He was expected to be out for two to three months, so he could be making his return soon.
The injury was a huge blow for the former NXT Champion, as it meant he would miss his first ever WrestleMania. Due to the fact he won the Slammy Award for Breakout Superstar of the Year, many thought The Man That Gravity Forgot would be booked strongly for The Showcase of The Immortals.
So what were the original plans for Neville if he never picked up his ankle injury and instead went on to compete at WrestleMania? Cageside Seats have speculated what those plans might have been, and the direction which he could go in upon his return to the ring.
SIGN UP NOW
Want to become a GMS writer? Sign up now and submit a 250 word test article: https://gms.to/haveyoursay4
They said: "According to the Observer, Neville was originally in the plans for the Intercontinental title picture right now before his injury. He may go there once he returns."
No real surprises considering it was widely rumored he would be entered into the Intercontinental Championship picture. He was booked by the WWE in segments alongside Kevin Owens and Sami Zayn prior to him picking up his ankle injury.
Neville's replacement in that ladder match for the Intercontinental title at WrestleMania 32 was Zack Ryder, who went on to win the clash. It makes you stop and think if the British superstar had never picked up his injury, who it had been him who climbed up to the top of the ladder to claim the championship at AT&T Stadium. We may never know.
What we do know however is that Neville is likely to return to WWE programming very soon, and the speculated booking angle for him would be in the Intercontinental Championship picture, perhaps claiming the title itself at SummerSlam in August later this year. This would definitely be the right direction for the company to go in.
The Man That Gravity Forgot is yet to show anything that says he deserves to have the Slammy Award for Breakout Star of the Year. Many thought Owens would have won the accolade, and they were surprised when Neville's name was announced. A way for him to prove the doubters wrong would be to go through the Canadian superstar on his journey to winning the IC title.
This would give him the credibility to reach the next level in his WWE career, while also closing the door on The Prizefighter's minor title booking, moving him on towards the WWE World Heavyweight Championship later in the year.
Neville's possible opponent for the Intercontinental Championship in the future could be decided this Sunday, as The Miz, Owens, Cesaro, and Zayn face-off in a Fatal 4-way for the title at Extreme Rules.
Do YOU want to write for GiveMeSport? Get started today by signing-up and submitting an article HERE: https://www.givemesport.com/writeforgms