There’s still more than a month until the summer transfer window opens but talk of Mario Gotze leaving Bayern Munich has rumbled on for weeks.
The saga has had so many twists and turns already and we certainly haven’t heard the end of it.
The latest news is that Bayern are lowering their asking price for the midfielder in an attempt to sell him this summer. That’s according to Bild, who claim that the German club originally wanted €40 million before lowering it to €25 million and the report states that they are now willing to continue to lower that value.
SIGN UP NOW
Want to become a GMS writer? Sign up now and submit a 250-word test article: https://gms.to/haveyoursay4
This latest news will give Liverpool a huge boost in their pursuit of the 23-year-old.
Gotze, who is about to enter his final 12 months of his contract, appeared to dismiss that he was interested in leaving the Allianz Area earlier this week by saying, per Bild: "I look forward to the new season in Munich and will do everything possible to compete in top shape during my first training under Carlo Ancelotti."
That’s the end of that, then?
Well, not exactly.
Following Gotze’s comments, Bayern Munich’s CEO Karl-Heinz Rummenigge expressed his surprise at the World Cup winner’s plan to remain at the club and seemed keen to force him to leave.
"We made everything clear to Mario," he said. "He knows what the club thinks and he knows what the future coach thinks.
"Mario has to consider for himself whether he wants to constantly get minutes."
If he does remain at the club, Gotze will find it difficult to play regular first-team football. The likes of Franck Ribery, Arjen Robben, Douglas Costa, Kingsley Coman, Robert Lewandowski and Thomas Muller are all vying for attacking positions next season - as well as any signings they make in the coming months.
Therefore, it’s understandable that the club are keen to sell him to receive a transfer fee this summer rather than wait 12 months and allow him to leave for free.
According to Kicker, per ESPN, Liverpool had already agreed a €25 million deal with Gotze’s representatives, Sports Total, but the move collapsed after the player split with the agency.
Following the split, Volker Struth, CEO of Sports Total said: "Sport Total and Mario Götze end their six-year collaboration by mutual agreement. This is the result of a conversation SportsTotal CEO Volker Struth and the 23-year-old striker who led Bayern Munich last Saturday together.
“After extensive deliberations and discussions in the past few weeks, we have come together to decide that we terminate the cooperation. Therefore, we met for a joint discussion and parted by mutual consent. I thank him for his many years of trust and wish him well for the future.”
While Gotze added: "I thank SportsTotal for a very good cooperation with many highlights and great memories that have shaped my career decisively."
Klopp will no doubt continue to chase the Germany international who he won two Bundesliga titles with for Dortmund and this saga is far from over.
Do YOU want to write for GiveMeSport? Get started today by signing-up and submitting an article HERE: https://www.givemesport.com/writeforgms