British fighter Dillian Whyte has outlined his plans to return himself back to the top of the heavyweight boxing scene, before plotting a rematch with IBF World heavyweight champion Anthony Joshua.
The 28-year-old hasn't fought since being knocked out by his bitter rival, Joshua, in the seventh round of their bout in December, in which Whyte suffered a shoulder injury that has kept him out of the ring since. However, he is now ready to remind boxing fans what he is all about, later this month.
Whyte will fight on the undercard of Joshua's first world title defence against American Dominic Breazeale on June 25 at the O2 Arena, before taking to the ring, again, next month and preparing for a British title fight in September, before hoping to face Dereck Chisora in December.
SIGN UP NOW
Want to become a GMS writer? Sign up now and submit a 250-word test article: https://gms.to/haveyoursay4
The Jamaica-born fighter admits he enjoys fighting Joshua, and hopes that his plans for the rest of this year will put him in a position to challenge Joshua for his IBF belt - providing the Watford fighter doesn't lose his belt in a shock defeat to Breazeale later this month.
"I can beat him (Joshua)," Whyte told Sky Sports. "I popped my shoulder with one big hit. I've had so much rehab but I'm back.
"The dream for me is to win the world title. I want a re-match. If there's another route I would take it, but I enjoy fighting Joshua. So much pride, passion and hunger.
"I was 40 per cent fit in that fight. I came into boxing the hard way, but I'm still learning and I've got a lot of top people behind me now."
Joshua has admitted that 'The Bodysnatcher' has proved to be his toughest test in professional boxing, to date, and Whyte hopes to go one better next time around, providing he can navigate his way back to the elite end of the heavyweight division.
But while Whyte believes he is capable of ending Joshua's 100% record (16-0-KO16), and doesn't see this month's world title defence at the O2 going the distance.
"Dominic is terrible," Whyte said. "I see Joshua winning in two or three rounds maximum. He'll be motivated. There's a title on the line and he's 6'8" so we'll see. I can see AJ's hard right finishing it."
The Brixton-based fighter, who hasn't tasted success since last September, is confident he can defeat Cyril Leonet in a tough comeback fight, while having a dig at fellow heavyweight David Haye's low standard of opponent, since exiting retirement.
"Cyril Leonet is a good operator," said Whyte. "He hasn't lost in six or seven years. I didn't want to come back to an easy fight. Eddie Hearn asked if I was sure after my shoulder injury, but it's a big card so I want to come back to a hard fight,"
And should the London fighter be a success upon his return to the ring, a huge domestic showdown between himself and Chisora will capture the imagination of British boxings fans, after footage was revealed showing Chisora confront Whyte following a press conference last month.
Whyte's only professional defeat, to date, has been to Joshua back in December.
Can Dillian Whyte get himself challenging for a rematch with Anthony Joshua? Have your say in the comment box below.
Do YOU want to write for GiveMeSport? Get started today by signing-up and submitting an article HERE: https://www.givemesport.com/writeforgms