Rugby League

Catalans Dragons win third game in a row to climb up to second in Super League

Published 2 Comments

Football News

Catalans Dragons moved up to second place in the First Utility Super League table with a 33-16 win over St Helens in Perpignan.

Jon Wilkin was playing his 350th game for Saints - but he could not stop the hosts making it three wins in a row.

A late enforced change for St Helens did not help their cause - full-back Jonny Lomax was injured in the warm-up, so Shannon McDonnell came into the starting line-up.

Catalans opened the scoring in the second minute with a Pat Richards penalty but Saints had the lead when Louie McCarthy-Scarsbrook charged over for St Helens from 15 metres out - and Jack Owens converted.

Catalans levelled in the 21st minute, Richards sending Fouad Yaha away down the left before the youngster stepped inside the cover to race over. Richards added the conversion.

In the 26th minute Joe Greenwood broke away and found the supporting McDonnell, only for Catalans' Tony Gigot and Justin Horo to combine to prevent a certain try.

From then on, Catalans ran away with the game. Five minutes before the break, 17-year-old Lucas Albert took Todd Carney's pass and stepped away from Atelea Vea's attempted tackle before stepping inside McDonnell to score. Richards missed the conversion.

With a minute remaining to half-time, Carney stepped up and kicked a drop-goal to take the score to 13-6.

St Helens opened the scoring in the second half on the back of building pressure, Wilkin and McDonnell combining to send in Adam Swift. Owens missed the conversion.

Catalans let rip following their third try in the 53rd minute. Carney, Albert and Gigot all combined to send Jodie Broughton in at the right corner to score. Richards was again unsuccessful with the conversion and the score remained 17-10.

However, two minutes later, the home side were in again. Albert sent Yaha away down the left before the youngster drew the cover defence and passed inside to the supporting Morgan Escare, who raced over to score. Richards again missed the conversion.

Glenn Stewart and Escare combined to send Broughton over for his second try of the game. Thomas Bosc took over the kicking duties and added the two points to give the hosts a commanding 27-10 lead.

Shortly after the hour, Bosc added a penalty before Broughton turned provider, knocking Bosc's kick back to Gigot for the centre to score. Bosc missed the conversion attempt from wide on the touchline.

There was still time for a consolation effort from McDonnell three minutes from time, which was converted by Owens.

Do YOU want to write for GiveMeSport? Get started today by signing-up and submitting an article HERE:

Rugby League
St Helens
Super League

Article Comments

Read more

Report author of article

Please let us know if you believe this article is in violation of our editorial policy, please only report articles for one of the following reasons.

Report author


This article has been written by a member of the GiveMeSport Writing Academy and does not represent the views of or SportsNewMedia. The views and opinions expressed are solely that of the author credited at the top of this article. and SportsNewMedia do not take any responsibility for the content of its contributors.

Want more content like this?

Like our GiveMeSport Facebook Page and you will get this directly to you.

Already Subscribed to Facebook, don't ask me again

Follow GiveMeSport on Twitter and you will get this directly to you.

Already Following, don't ask me again

Like our GiveMeSport - Rugby League Page and you will get this directly to you.

Already Subscribed to G+, don't ask me again