It hasn't been plain sailing for the Denver Broncos since they won the 2015 Super Bowl.
The Colorado franchise has said goodbye to several key figures from last season - including two QBs and defensive standout Malik Jackson - and has been embroiled in a heated standoff with Super Bowl MVP Von Miller over a contract extension.
Last we heard, the two sides were at a virtual impasse and the linebacker was busy using social media to vent his frustration. Today, though, a report from ESPN suggests there could finally be signs of progress.
SIGN UP NOW
Want to become a GMS writer? Sign up now and submit a 250 word test article: https://gms.to/haveyoursay4
According to Adam Caplan of ESPN, Miller is at least now in communication with the Broncos and there is a belief those conversations could continue over the next few days.
This is a sharp contrast to previous reports which had claimed that the player and team hadn't been in contact since an original contract offer was pulled back in the first week of June. On June 22, Miller himself said that "everything had been said" regarding talks on a new deal.
Although there are no concrete details on just what the uptake in "communication" this week has involved, Denver fans can at least take heart in the fact that one of their biggest stars isn't freezing himself out completely.
Now July 5, the two sides have 10 days in which to come to an agreement on a contract extension before the July 15 deadline.
While talking is good, the franchise's front office will have to work fast and Miller may have to come down on his demands if any such deal is to materialise.
Otherwise, the Super Bowl star is looking at a $14.1 million franchise tag - something he has previously said he would not tolerate for the 2016 campaign.
Do YOU want to write for GiveMeSport? Get started today by signing-up and submitting an article HERE: https://www.givemesport.com/writeforgms