Demetrius Andrade vs Zach Parker: Frank Warren wins purse for WBO interim title fight

  • Tom Ward
demetrius-andrade-zach-parker-eddie-hearn-frank-warren-purse-bids

Demetrius Andrade returns to the ring to challenge Zach Parker for the vacant WBO interim super-middleweight title.

Frank Warren‘s Queensberry Promotions once again outbid Eddie Hearn‘s Matchroom Boxing, having won the rights to stage the heavyweight title fight between Tyson Fury and Dillian Whyte earlier this month.

Warren bid $1,834,050 while Hearn’s offer fell agonisingly short at $1,750,000 giving the Hall of Fame promoter full control of the 168lb clash which is being targeted for May 21.

Andrade (31-0, 19 KOs), who has been promoted by Hearn since July 2017, is entitled to 65 per cent of the winning bid while Parker (22-0, 16 KOs) will receive the remaining 35 per cent.

A statement from Warren read: “Following today’s purse bids, Queensberry Promotions are delighted to announce that Zach Parker will face Demetrius Andrade for the interim WBO super-middleweight world title.

“The venue and date for the bout will be announced in due course.”

Meanwhile, Derby County fan Parker also revealed he wants to take on Andrade at the Pride Park Stadium.

Reacting to the news, Parker took to Twitter on Thursday, saying: “Absolutely buzzing that my team has won the purse bids and I can’t thank Frank Warren enough for everything he’s done for me since I signed with him!! Who fancies it at Pride Park then?”

But Parker isn’t the only one who wants a piece of Andrade, as David Benavidez also fancies his chances against ‘Boo Boo’.

“He’s another great fighter,” Benavidez said, in quotes reported by BoxingScene.com.

“If I can’t get any other fights. He’s expressed that he would like to fight me. I expressed that I would like to fight him. Why not make it happen?

1 of 20
Canelo

Where was Canelo Alvarez born?

“I want to challenge myself. I’m tired of talking s*** and going back and forth with fighters that don’t want to fight. It’s a waste of time.

“It’s a waste of energy. If a fighter does want to fight, that’s what I’m here for. I’m not here to be on social media talking s*** to everybody.

“I feel like [Andrade] is still a sneaky fighter. He hasn’t had to move around because he hasn’t had a fighter push him. So I can’t expect him to sit in there and brawl with me.

“I feel confident I can win the fight. It will be a great fight. I’m here to make the fights the fans want to see … I’m not going to put my career on hold because these other guys don’t want to fight me.”

News Now - Sport News