British Grand Prix: Nikita Mazepin banned from taking part

Haas F1 driver Nikita Mazepin will be banned from the British Grand Prix later this year due to the ongoing Ukraine crisis.

Motorsport UK has announced that all Russian and Belarusian licensed drivers will not be eligible to drive at Silverstone, meaning the Haas driver will miss out.

On Tuesday, the FIA announced that Mazepin would still be allowed to compete in F1, but under a neutral FIA flag rather than representing Russia.

But Motorsport UK have fully banned all Russian competitors in ‘solidarity and support to those affected.’

Chief of Motorsport UK David Richards said, as per the Daily Mail: “The entire Motorsport UK community condemns the acts of war by Russia and Belarus in Ukraine and expresses its solidarity and support towards all those affected by the ongoing conflict.

“We stand united with the people of Ukraine and the motorsport community following the invasion and the unacceptable actions that have unfolded. 

“This is a time for the international motorsport community to act and show support for the people of Ukraine and our colleagues at the Federation Automobile d’Ukraine (FAU).

p1f4ccb3gp1tavc9q1u04177m1hm3d.jpg
Nikita Mazepin

“It is our duty to use whatever influence and leverage we might have to bring this wholly unjustified invasion of Ukraine to a halt.

“We would encourage the motorsport community and our colleagues around the world to fully embrace the recommendations of the International Olympic Committee and do whatever we can to end this war.

“Motorsport UK stands united with Leonid Kostyuchenko, the President of the FAU, the Ukrainian motorsport community and the Ukrainian people and calls for the violence to end with a peaceful resolution.”

Motorsport UK acted in the same way as UEFA and FIFA did in football, by banning all Russian involvement, from club competitions to national fixtures.

KIEV, UKRAINE – JANUARY 29: The Ukrainian flag waves as policemen block Grushevskogo Street on January 29, 2014 in Kiev, Ukraine. Ukraine’s Prime Minister Mykola Azarov and his cabinet resigned yesterday after months of protests while parliament is also scrapping a number of controversial anti-protest laws. (Photo by Rob Stothard/Getty Images)

The International Olympic Committee (IOC) called for all sporting competitions to remove Russian stars from their respective sport.

The president of the Automobile Federation of Ukraine Leonid Kostyuchenk had demanded the FIA bans all Russian and Belarusian drivers from competing outside of their own countries. 

The F1 Russian Grand Prix had already been cancelled after being scheduled to take place in Sochi on September 25.

Sebastian Vettel said he would boycott the Sochi GP if it went ahead as he was the first driver to speak out against Russia last Thursday.

F1 decided to cancel the race completely last Friday.

News Now - Sport News