Spurs: Conte struggling for 'best combination' ahead of Everton clash

Tottenham Hotspur head coach Antonio Conte is still unsure as to who his best wing-backs are despite being in the job for more than four months, according to journalist Dean Jones.

Conte was appointed as Spurs’ boss in November, replacing the sacked Nuno Espirito Santo, but the north Londoners still find themselves three points adrift of the Premier League’s top six heading into tonight’s home clash with Everton.

What are Spurs’ current wing-back options?

Sergio Reguilon, Ryan Sessegnon, Emerson Royal and Matt Doherty have featured in the wing-back roles since Conte headed to the Tottenham Hotspur Stadium.

However, Conte has chopped and changed following his arrival, leading to question marks over who is at the top of the pecking order on both flanks.

Reguilon scored the first goal of his Spurs career shortly after Conte’s appointment, but he has regularly found himself on the bench in recent weeks.

The left wing-back berth has been taken by Sessegnon instead and he repaid the faith shown in him by the Italian by bagging an assist in the victory over Leeds United last month.

Royal, a £25.8million signing from Barcelona in August, started Conte’s reign in control of the right wing-back slot.

However, he was demoted to the bench for the last outing at Leeds and Doherty took advantage by finding the back of the net and registering an assist at Elland Road.

Is the European Super League BACK?!?! Find out more on The Football Terrace

What has Dean Jones said about the situation?

Jones believes Conte still has serious doubts over who his best wing-back options are at Tottenham.

The transfer insider feels the Italian, who has won the domestic titles in England and his homeland, remains unsure as to whether any of the quartet are up to the standards he has set.

Jones told GIVEMESPORT: “I don’t know if even he knows what his best combination is, at this point.

“It’s been so stop-start in terms of who’s available to him and who’s in-form that I don’t think he’s ever had the luxury of having all of the options available at the same time, playing at the same level.”

1 of 10
The Tottenham Hotspur Stadium

What year did the Tottenham Hotspur Stadium open?

Could Conte look to sell any of Spurs’ wing-backs?

Dejan Kulusevski and Rodrigo Bentancur have been Tottenham’s only signings since Conte’s unveiling, so none of the current wing-back options were drafted in by the 52-year-old.

There are question marks over the long-term future of Reguilon, who joined Spurs in a deal which could rise to £32million.

That is because the Mirror, via the Express, have claimed Real Madrid are interested in welcoming Reguilon back to the Spanish capital and the north Londoners would be unable to stop the 25-year-old heading back to the Bernabeu.

The report suggests the La Liga title chasers are keen to trigger their option to buy Reguilon back for £33.6million, but the clause expires on May 30.

News Now - Sport News