Aston Villa head coach Steven Gerrard would be making a ‘strange’ decision if he allowed Ezri Konsa to secure his exit at the end of the season, according to transfer insider Dean Jones.
Konsa has made 92 appearances since heading to Villa Park in a £12million deal from Brentford more than two-and-a-half years ago, but there are doubts over how much longer the central defender will remain on the club’s books.
What’s the latest news involving Konsa?
According to Football Insider, Villa are willing to listen to offers for Konsa when the transfer window reopens in the summer.
The report suggests head coach Steven Gerrard is not convinced by the reliability and consistency of the 24-year-old.
Konsa has previously been hailed as a ‘brilliant defender’ by Sky Sports pundit Jamie Carragher and he had featured heavily under Gerrard before being sent off in the 3-3 thriller with Leeds United last month.
Although he reclaimed his place in the back four at Brighton & Hove Albion, after serving a two-match suspension, Konsa was not in the matchday squad for Saturday’s 4-0 thumping of Southampton.
Is the European Super League BACK?!?! Find out more on The Football Terrace…
What has Dean Jones said about Konsa?
Jones would be surprised if Konsa were to be among the players allowed to leave Villa Park during the summer window.
The transfer expert feels sanctioning the central defender’s sale would not make sense as he has been a key cog in the Midlands club’s team for a prolonged period.
Jones told GIVEMESPORT: “It seems a bit of a strange path to take at a time when you’re trying to build. Every time you’re losing someone, you’ve got to replace them.”
Who would Gerrard look to replace Konsa with?
Football Insider have revealed Villa have made Liverpool centre-half Joe Gomez their top defensive target heading into the summer transfer window.
The report suggests Gerrard is looking to take advantage of his Anfield connections to welcome the 11-cap England international to Villa Park.