Southampton are eager to fend off interest in Tino Livramento and they are confident of being able to keep the talented right-back at St Mary’s as he is not agitating for a summer move, according to The Sun journalist Tom Barclay.
Livramento made the £5million move from Premier League rivals Chelsea last summer and the 19-year-old has gone on to impress on the south coast, leading to admirers ahead of the transfer window reopening for business.
What’s the latest news involving Livramento?
According to trusted Tottenham Hotspur source John Wenham, via Football Insider, the north Londoners are eager to secure Livramento’s services.
The report suggests Cameron Carter-Vickers, who is currently enjoying a season-long loan spell with Scottish Premiership title chasers Celtic, or Harry Winks could be offered to Southampton to sweeten the deal.
It comes after it was revealed Spurs managing director Fabio Paratici is already making preliminary moves for Livramento after the club have prioritised signing a wing-back who can defend and offer a threat in the attacking third of the pitch.
Tottenham are looking to pounce as although Chelsea inserted a £40million buy-back clause into the deal which took the teenager to St Mary’s, that is understood not to be an option until the summer of 2023.
Italian media outlet Calciomercato have claimed Livramento has also worked his way onto Manchester United’s radar ahead of the Old Trafford club potentially lodging a summer bid.
Rio Ferdinand SLAMS Marcus Rashford! Hear more on The Football Terrace…
What has Tom Barclay said about Livramento?
Barclay understands Southampton are hoping to keep hold of Livramento until next summer, when Chelsea’s buy-back clause could be activated, at the very least.
The journalist believes the teenager is also keen to remain on the south coast rather than securing a second transfer in the space of 12 months.
As a result, Barclay has serious doubts over whether the likes of Tottenham or Manchester United will be successful in their pursuit.
He told GIVEMESPORT: “I’m told that Southampton are very keen to at least keep him for another year and I think Livramento thinks that’s a good idea as well.”
Why would Livramento want to snub a summer move?
Having never been given a chance at Chelsea, where he failed to make a senior appearance, Southampton boss Ralph Hasenhuttl has put his faith in Livramento.
Hasenhuttl has previously admitted he promised Livramento he would ‘immediately play’ if he opted to join Saints and the Austrian stood by his guarantee.
Livramento started every Premier League fixture until December 28, when he was forced onto the sidelines due to injury, and he has gone on to make the right-back slot his own.
As a result, it is likely that Livramento is keen to repay the faith shown in him by Hasenhuttl at the age of just 19.