Tottenham tipped to now 'get more money' for £27m outcast

Tottenham Hotspur will be able to ‘get more money’ for attacking midfielder Giovani Lo Celso due to his improved form, according to Sky Sports journalist Michael Bridge.

Lo Celso arrived from Real Betis on an initial loan deal in August 2019 before Spurs made his move permanent for £27 million a year later after impressing during his maiden campaign on English shores.

What is the latest news involving Lo Celso?

Despite initially appearing to settle into his new surroundings well, the Argentina international struggled to build on his early success in north London.

Several injury issues and a lack of form saw Lo Celso start just 11 Premier League games throughout 2020/21, and a change in manager failed to improve his fortunes in the current campaign.

Under former boss Nuno Espirito Santo, the South American featured from the off on just two occasions in the top-flight, while his successor Antonio Conte failed to select him in any of his starting line-ups when on league duty.

Conte then allowed Lo Celso to join Villarreal in the January transfer window on a short-term loan deal that included an option to buy after finding no place for him in his first-team plans.

However, the 26-year-old has excelled for the Yellow Submarine, starting all four of their Champions League knockout games as they’ve seen off Juventus and Bayern Munich to reach the semi-finals.

Erik ten Hag TALKS Man United job! Hear more on The Football Terrace

Yet it seems as though his long-term future may still lie away from the Tottenham Hotspur Stadium, with Conte indicating he is now suited to the physical demands of the Premier League.

“He’s showing he’s a good player, but I never said he’s not a good player,” said the 52-year-old tactician. “This league is a very difficult league and it’s important to play with great intensity and strength.”

What has Bridge said about Lo Celso?

He told GiveMeSport: “Someone texted me last week, and they said, ‘Wow, look at Lo Celso, what do you think?’ And I said, ‘Yeah, good.’ And they said, ‘What do you mean?’ And I went, ‘Well, Spurs will get more money for him then, won’t they.’

“I think Conte was asked on Thursday about him, and he said, ‘I never said he wasn’t a good player. He’s a very good player.’ And then he basically said, ‘He’s good, but he’s not cut out for the Premier League.’”

Could Villarreal sign Lo Celso permanently?

Speaking on a recent episode of his Here We Go podcast, transfer expert Fabrizio Romano revealed there ‘will be a discussion’ between Spurs and Villarreal over Lo Celso this summer.

1 of 8
Mounir El Hamdaoui - Tottenham

Do you know this obscure player Tottenham signed in the January transfer window?

“Tottenham are still waiting for Villarreal to make an official proposal,” he said. “From what I’m told, they want to discuss on Villarreal’s side with Tottenham to sign Lo Celso on a permanent deal or to keep the player for one more season.

“But Tottenham want real money so there will be a discussion this summer.”

News Now - Sport News