Manchester United have officially appointed Erik ten Hag as their new permanent manager.
The Dutchman will join the club at the end of the season after he finishes his work with Ajax, with the club battling to win the 2021/22 Eredivisie title.
Ten Hag has been a huge success in Amsterdam since he moved from Utrecht in December of 2017.
He’s won five trophies at Ajax, including two Eredivisie titles and two KNVB Cups.
Ten Hag was also the man who orchestrated the Dutch club’s famous 2018/19 Champions League run, where they reached the semi-finals.
The 52-year-old’s CV is certainly very impressive, especially when you remember that his Ajax side are also renowned for playing very aesthetically-pleasing football.
On paper, it looks like a brilliant hire by United and a graphic by Transfermarkt only strengthens that claim.
Since Ten Hag was brought in by Ajax, only three other managers operating in Europe’s top 10 leagues have amassed more wins.
And two of them will be going head-to-head with United’s newest appointment in 2022/23…
The 10 managers with the mosts wins since Ten Hag joined Ajax
10. Simone Inzaghi (Lazio & Inter Milan) – 114 wins in 216 games
9. Diego Simeone (Atletico Madrid) – 123 wins in 223 games
8. Marco Rose (Red Bull Salzburg, Borussia Monchengladbach & Borussia Dortmund) – 126 wins in 209 games
7. Brendan Rodgers (Celtic & Leicester City) – 128 wins in 231 games
6. Steven Gerrard (Rangers & Aston Villa) – 132 wins in 213 games
4. Erik ten Hag (Ajax) – 156 wins in 210 games
3. Jurgen Klopp (Liverpool) – 161 wins in 237 games
2. Sérgio Conceição (FC Porto) – 165 wins in 233 games
- Pep Guardiola (Manchester City) – 190 wins in 252 games
Ten Hag is certainly a serial winner and his 74.2% win percentage is only slightly worse than Guardiola’s (75.4%) – and is actually better than Klopp’s (67.9%).
But United fans can’t expect the Dutchman to deliver the same numbers as he did at Ajax with the Red Devils right away.
If he is somehow able to, it’ll be a footballing miracle…