But just how far does he have to go?
Well, we’ve compiled a list of every single WWE Superstar to have won a world title since 2000, and how many titles they’ve won.
This will enable us to see how far Reigns has come, and how far he’s got to go to become WWE’s most decorated Superstar of the 21st century.
For we get cracking, as a bit of housekeeping, this list will consider reigns of the Universal Championship, retired World Heavyweight Championship, and WWE Championship.
So, without further ado, let’s get cracking.
The following 18 wrestlers are all tied at 29th in the list, having had only the one reign of either the WWE, Universal or World Heavyweight titles between 2000 and now.
The list features some rather interesting names, including WWE icons such as Kane, Hulk Hogan and Shawn Michaels, as well as current stars like Kevin Owens, Finn Balor and Kofi Kingston.
- 29= Booker T (1 reign)
- 29= Hulk Hogan (1 reign)
- 29= Eddie Guerrero (1 reign)
- 29= John Bradshaw Layfield (1 reign)
- 29= Rob Van Dam (1 reign)
- 29= The Great Khali (1 reign)
- 29= Dean Ambrose (1 reign)
- 29= Jinder Mahal (1 reign)
- 29= Kofi Kingston (1 reign)
- 29= Big E (1 reign)
- 29= Finn Balor (1 reign)
- 29= Kevin Owens (1 reign)
- 29= Braun Strowman (1 reign)
- 29= Shawn Michaels (1 reign)
- 29= Chris Benoit (1 reign)
- 29= Kane (1 reign)
- 29= Jack Swagger (1 reign)
- 29= Mark Henry (1 reign)
There’s a couple of wrestlers who’ve had two reigns with the titles since 2000, and you can check out that selection below.
The list features the likes of Stone Cold Steve Austin, one of wrestling’s biggest ever stars, as well as current roster members Drew McIntyre, AJ Styles and Bobby Lashley.
- 22= Stone Cold Steve Austin (2 reigns)
- 22= The Miz (2 reigns)
- 22= Drew McIntyre (2 reigns)
- 22= AJ Styles (2 reigns)
- 22= Bobby Lashley
- 22= Christian (2 reigns)
- 22= Dolph Ziggler (2 reigns)
Next up are the four individuals on three title reigns, only one of which still works for WWE in a full-time capacity.
- 18= Jeff Hardy (3 reigns)
- 18= Rey Mysterio (3 reigns)
- 18= Bray Wyatt (3 reigns)
- 18= Goldberg (3 reigns)
The next set of names feature some of the best to ever step inside the ring, including The Undertaker and Chris Jericho, all of whom sit on four world title reigns since the turn of the 21st century.
- 12= Big Show (4 reigns)
- 12= Chris Jericho (4 reigns)
- 12= The Undertaker (4 reigns)
- 12= Sheamus (4 reigns)
- 12= Alberto Del Rio (4 reigns)
- 12= Seth Rollins (4 reigns)
We’re getting into the business end of things now, with the following names having had five different reigns with world titles in WWE from 2000 onwards.
- 9= The Rock (5 reigns)
- 9= Kurt Angle (5 reigns)
- 9= Daniel Bryan (5 reigns)
As noted, Roman Reigns is on six WWE World title reigns now, being the reigning Unified WWE Universal Champion.
The 36-year-old could well become WWE’s most decorated star ever, but as for now, he’s in at joint-sixth, along with Batista and CM Punk.
- 6= Romam Reigns (6 reigns)
- 6= CM Punk (6 reigns)
- 6= Batista (6 reigns)
In fairness to Roman, he’d have to nearly treble his reigns before becoming the most decorated WWE Superstar of the 21st century.
Below is the top five, with Brock Lesnar, Triple H and John Cena listed.
As expected, and as many people will have known, Cena tops the list with all 16 of his title reigns having come after 2000, a rather impresisve feat.
- 4= Brock Lesnar (10 reigns)
- 4= Edge (10 reigns)
- 2= Randy Orton (14 reigns)
- 2= Triple H (14 reigns)
- 1. John Cena (16 reigns)
John Cena is actually the WWE Superstar with the joint highest amount of world title reigns, with his tally of 16 being equal to the amount of world title reigns.