Newcastle: Eddie Howe 'prioritising' new striker at St James' Park

Newcastle manager Eddie Howe looking into the distance

Newcastle United manager Eddie Howe could look to add two strikers to his squad in the summer transfer window, according to insider Dean Jones.

The Magpies have been in stunning form in the second half of the season to move clear of the relegation zone, but their centre forwards have been unable to consistently find the back of the net.

How have Newcastle’s strikers performed this season?

Callum Wilson started the campaign as Newcastle’s first-choice striker, and his return of six goals in 15 top-flight games is a respectable one.

However, he missed four games due to a hamstring problem earlier in the season, and has not played since December 27 after suffering a serious calf injury. Therefore, Howe has had to cope without Wilson for more than half of the season.

The North-East club looked to bolster their ranks in January by bringing in Chris Wood from Burnley for £25m.

Wood has proved a useful target man at times, but his goalscoring record has been underwhelming. He has only netted twice for Newcastle in 15 games since arriving.

Liverpool reach CHAMPIONS LEAGUE FINAL with stunning comeback vs Villarreal! Full reaction on The Football Terrace

What has Jones said about Newcastle’s transfer plans?

Jones believes Howe will focus on strengthening his forward line this summer, and has tipped him to make multiple signings to cover the lone striker position.

When asked about Howe’s approach to the market, Jones told GIVEMESPORT: “He’s prioritising a striker, he needs a proven goalscorer. He’ll probably sign two forwards.”

“He doesn’t really see Callum Wilson figuring heavily. He’s going to be a back-up, if anything.”

1 of 15
Alan Shearer celebrating scoring

Premier League and Newcastle United all-time top goalscorer Alan Shearer is a true legend of the game, but when did he leave their club?

Which strikers could Newcastle target?

Due to having the richest owners in world football, Newcastle are being linked to a number of high-profile players heading into the summer window.

The Premier League outfit are reportedly keen on Benfica’s Darwin Nunez, who has flourished in Portugal this season, although they face competition for his signature from a number of other clubs including Manchester United and Arsenal.

Ivan Toney is another player believed to be on Newcastle’s radar. Toney was previously on the club’s books between 2015 and 2018, and a return to St James’ Park appears a possibility this summer.

Then there is the exciting teenager Hugo Ekitike from Stade Reims. Newcastle tried to sign the Frenchman in January, but he decided to stay in his homeland for the rest of the season.

This has not ended Newcastle’s interest in him, and it has been claimed that Howe’s side are favourites to land the 19-year-old when the transfer window re-opens.

News Now - Sport News