Ever since cutting ties with Golden Boy Promotions in 2020, Canelo has been more than happy to sign short-term deals with anyone who comes at him with a good offer.
Earlier this year, Eddie Hearn and Matchroom landed one of the biggest contracts in their history by locking Canelo down to three fights on DAZN.
The first of those bouts took place last Saturday night when the Mexican dared to be great in his WBA light heavyweight title showdown with Dmitry Bivol. Unfortunately, the Russian proved to be a step too far for the 31-year-old as he fell to a unanimous decision defeat.
While the loss doesn’t exactly do Canelo any favours, many still believe he’s the pound-for-pound best in the sport right now – although that could change if this turns into a slump.
Prior to the Las Vegas spectacular, Eddie Hearn was asked about the possibility of extending his agreement with Canelo after the next two fights.
“I don’t think he’ll go beyond the three-fight deal,” Hearn told Alan Dawson of Insider. “And I think that’s fine.”
“We believe in him, we have a great relationship and I think, you know, he’s gonna make sure that he works with whoever wants to work with but also in the fights he wants to be in.”
“I think that’s the great thing about the flexibility of this position is he can literally go and fight who he wants on whatever platform he wants, but we know we have these next three fights locked in,” Hearn said.
What’s next for Canelo?
It felt like the trilogy fight between Canelo Alvarez and Gennady Golovkin was a virtual certainty to be taking place in September. However, after what happened at T-Mobile Arena, that contest is now in jeopardy with some suggesting it’s dead in the water completely.
Canelo felt like he did enough to beat Bivol and is therefore expected to pursue a rematch that could theoretically take place in the next couple of months.