When someone mentions the subject of a footballer scoring a hat-trick, Cristiano Ronaldo is usually the first name that springs to mind.
Throughout the course of his incredible professional career, the 37-year-old superstar has regularly rippled the back of the net three times in a match.
The Portugal international’s tally of hat-tricks for club and country now stands at 60, which is quite frankly ridiculous.
But who’re the other leading treble getters in the 21st century?
Well, the folks over at IFFHS have decided to officially name the 22 players with the most hat-tricks since the turn of the millenium.
Their detailed list doesn’t just feature those who’ve played in Europe’s top five leagues either, oh no. Players who’ve partaken in ‘top level games’ across the globe have also made the cut.
Let’s take a look…
The 22 players with the most hat-tricks in the 21st century
22. Maksim Gruznov (Estonia) | 15 hat-tricks
21. Jose Alfredo Castillo (Bolivia) | 15 hat-tricks
20. Edinson Cavani (Uruguay) | 15 hat-tricks
19. Eran Zahavi (Israel) | 15 hat-tricks
18. Baghdad Bounedjah (Algeria) | 16 hat-tricks
17. Washington (Brazil) | 18 hat-tricks
16. Klaas-Jan Huntelaar (Holland) | 18 hat-tricks
15. Mario Gomez (Germany) | 18 hat-tricks
14. Sergio Aguero (Argentina) | 18 hat-tricks
13. Harry Kane (England) | 18 hat-tricks
12. Abderrazak Hamdallah (Morocco) | 20 hat-tricks
11. Sebastián Tagliabúe (UAE) | 20 hat-tricks
10. Firas Al-Khatib (Syria) | 20 hat-tricks
9. Zlatan Ibrahimovic (Sweden) | 20 hat-tricks
8. Neymar (Brazil) | 21 hat-tricks
7. Aleksandar Đurić (Singapore) | 22 hat-tricks
6. Ali Mabkhout (UAE) | 25 hat-tricks
5. Luis Suarez (Uruguay) | 29 hat-tricks
4. Robert Lewandowski (Poland) | 30 hat-tricks
3. Ali Ashfaq (Maldives) | 35 hat-tricks
2. Lionel Messi (Argentina) | 55 hat-tricks
- Cristiano Ronaldo (Portugal) | 60 hat-tricks
Ronaldo and Messi’s hat-trick tallies just shouldn’t be possible in the modern era.
However, the one thing neither of them has achieved is the feat of scoring six goals (a double hat-trick) in a match.
Third-placed Ashfaq, Mabkhout, Bounedjah and Gruznov have all pulled it off, though.
Ashfaq has also scored five goals in a game on six occasions, which tells you everything you need to know about how prolific the ‘Man of Steel’ is.