The UEFA Champions League did not fail to deliver in the 2021/21 season, and this has football fans already looking forward to the prestigious European competition taking place during the 2022/23 campaign.
With Erling Haaland moving to Manchester City, Kylian Mbappe staying at Paris Saint-Germain and Robert Lewandowski linked to FC Barcelona, there promises to be some amazing new squads for the upcoming competition.
There is a lot that happens in the European Cup, including qualifying matches, group stages, the knockouts and of course the final.
Here is everything you need to know about the 2022/23 Champions League season.
Champions League 2022/23 Schedule
Here are all the key dates for the competition (Provided by UEFA):
- Preliminary round semi-finals: Tuesday 21st June 2022
- Preliminary round final: Friday 24th June 2022
- First qualifying round: Tuesday 5th-Wednesday 6th & Tuesday 12th-13th July 2022
- Second qualifying round: Tuesday 19th-Wednesday 20th & Tuesday 26th-Wednesday 27th July 2022
- Third qualifying round: Tuesday 2nd-Wednesday 3rd & 9th August 2022
- Play-offs: Tuesday 16th-Wednesday 17th & Tuesday 23rd-Wednesday 24th August 2022
- Matchday 1: Tuesday 6th-Wednesday 7th September 2022
- Matchday 2: Tuesday 13th-Wednesday 14th September 2022
- Matchday 3: Tuesday 4th-Wednesday 5th October 2022
- Matchday 4: Tuesday 11th-Wednesday 12th October 2022
- Matchday 5: Tuesday 25th-Wednesday 26th October 2022
- Matchday 6: Tuesday 1st-Wednesday 2nd November 2022
- Round of 16: 14th/15th/21st/22nd February & 7th/8th/14th/15th March 2023
- Quarter-finals: 11th/12th & 18th/19th April 2023
- Semi-finals: 9th/10th & 16th/17th May 2023
- Final: 10th June 2023
The upcoming Champions League will be the 68th season of the elite competition and it begins on Tuesday 21st June 2022 and runs to Saturday 10th June 2023.
Currently, we already know 26 teams who have made it to the Group Stages of the competition. The upcoming qualifying matches will see teams battle it out for the remaining six spots.
The first set of fixtures was revealed on Tuesday 7th June 2022, and this is for the teams in the Preliminary round. The matches are:
- FC Levadia Tallinn vs Vikingur Reykjavik
- La Fiorita 1967 vs Inter Club D’Escaldes
- Inter Club D’Escaldes vs Vikingur Reykjavik
The UEFA Champions League first qualifying round draw was completed on Tuesday 14th June 2022. Here are the fixtures from this draw:
- Pyunik (ARM) vs CFR Cluj (ROU)
- Maribor (SVN) vs Shakhtyor Soligorsk (BLR)
- Ludogorets Razgrad (BUL) vs Sutjeska Nikšić (MNE)
- Diddeleng (LUX) vs Tirana (ALB)
- Tobol (KAZ) vs Ferencváros (HUN)
- Malmö (SWE) vs Preliminary round winners
- Ballkani (KOS) vs Žalgiris (LIT)
- HJK (FIN) vs RFS (LVA)
- Bodø/Glimt (NOR) vs KÍ (FRO)
- The New Saints (WAL) vs Linfield (NIR)
- Shamrock Rovers (IRL) vs Hibernians (MLT)
- Lech Poznań (POL) vs Qarabağ (AZE)
- Shkupi (MKD) vs Lincoln Red Imps (GIB)
- Zrinjski (BIH) vs Sheriff (MDA)
- Slovan Bratislava (SVK) vs Dinamo Batumi (GEO)
The 2022/23 UEFA Champions League second qualifying round draw took place on Wednesday 15th June. Here are the fixtures for this draw:
- Tobol Kostanay (KAZ) / Ferencváros (HUN) vs Slovan Bratislava (SVK) / Dinamo Batumi (GEO)
- GNK Dinamo (CRO) vs Shkupi (MKD) / Lincoln Red Imps (GIB)
- Lech Poznań (POL) / Qarabağ (AZE) vs Zürich (SUI)
- HJK (FIN) / RFS (LVA) vs Viktoria Plzeň (CZE)
- The New Saints (WAL) / Linfield (NIR) vs Bodø/Glimt (NOR) / KÍ (FRO)
- Ballkani (KOS) / Žalgiris (LTU) vs Malmö (SWE) / Preliminary round winners
- Ludogorets (BUL) / Sutjeska (MNE) vs Shamrock Rovers (IRL) / Hibernians (MLT)
- Maribor (SVN) / Shakhtyor Soligorsk (BLR) vs Zrinjski (BIH) / Sheriff (MDA)
- Maccabi Haifa (ISR) vs Olympiacos (GRE)
- Pyunik (ARM) / CFR Cluj (ROU) vs Diddeleng (LUX) / Tirana (ALB)
League path draw
The four teams were seeded in accordance with the club coefficient rankings.
- Midtjylland (DEN) vs AEK Larnaca (CYP)
- Dynamo Kyiv (UKR) vs Fenerbahçe (TUR)
Preliminary round semi-finals:
- La Fiorita 1967 1-2 Inter Club D’Escaldes
- FC Levadia Tallinn 1-6 Vikingur Reykjavik
Champions League 2022/23 Draw
Football fans love the draws in cup competitions and we get a lot of draws in the Champions League as we go through the rounds.
Here are all the important dates for the Champions League 2022/23 Draw (Provided by UEFA):
- Preliminary round: Tuesday 7th June 2022
- First qualifying round: Tuesday 14th June 2022
- Second qualifying round: Wednesday 15th June 2022
- Third qualifying round: Monday 18th July 2022
- Play-off round: Tuesday 2nd August 2022
- Group stage: Thursday 25th August 2022
- Round of 16: Monday 7th November 2022
- Quarter-finals & semi-finals: Friday 17th March 2023
Where will the 2022/23 Champions League Final take place?
The next UEFA Champions League final will take place at the Atatürk Olympic Stadium in Istanbul in Turkey. The capacity of this stadium is 76,092.
Which teams from Scotland will be in the 2022/23 Champions League?
Runners-up Rangers, who recently lost in the 2021/22 Europa League final, still have it all to do to qualify as they will enter the Champions League at the third qualifying round.
Which teams have already qualified for the Champions League 2022/23?
Here are all the teams who have qualified for the Champions League at the time of writing:
Belgian Pro League
Ukrainian Premier League
Who won the 2021/22 UEFA Champions League?
The 2021/22 Champions League Final was between Real Madrid and Liverpool. It was a very tense game in France, and the La Liga giants Madrid came out on top as they won 1-0. Madrid goalkeeper Thibaut Courtois was the hero as he made an abundance of great saves to keep the clean sheet.
You can find all of the latest football news and rumours right here at GiveMeSport.