Chelsea 'discussing' bringing 'unbelievable' £150m star to Stamford Bridge

Chelsea manager Thomas Tuchel celebrating against Real Madrid

Chelsea are discussing the possibility of bringing Declan Rice to Stamford Bridge this summer, according to transfer insider Dean Jones.

Manager Thomas Tuchel is expected to be backed in the market by the club’s new owners, and it appears that a move for West Ham’s most prized possession could now be on the cards.

What is the latest transfer news involving Chelsea?

Multiple outlets, including The Telegraph, claim Todd Boehly is ready to hand Tuchel a £200m transfer budget to help Chelsea close the gap with Manchester City and Liverpool.

Boehly’s consortium, consisting of the LA Dodgers part-owner, Clearlake Capital, Mark Walter and Hansjoerg Wyss, is set to officially take ownership of the Blues on Monday after the UK government gave its approval for the club to be sold.

The above means Chelsea will be able to operate in the transfer market again having previously been unable to following the sanctioning of Roman Abramovich.

Defence will be a priority for Tuchel, with Antonio Rudiger and Andreas Christensen both leaving west London.

Chelsea CLOSE to signing Jules Kounde! Hear more on The Football Terrace

What has Jones said about Chelsea’s transfer plans?

Jones has told GIVEMESPORT that Rice’s name has been discussed as a potential signing at Chelsea.

Speaking to GMS, the transfer insider said: “On the back of the takeover getting the green light and talk of a £200m war chest, let’s not discount the possibility that Chelsea go back for Declan Rice.

“This Chelsea squad needs a revamp, players will leave, but Rice could be such a big asset and I’m told his name is still discussed as a potential signing.”

How much is Rice going to cost?

West Ham manager David Moyes has warned anyone interested in signing Rice this summer will have to pay £150m minimum for the 23-year-old, who has been hailed as “unbelievable” by team-mate Michail Antonio.

That would be most of Tuchel’s budget and would leave him with just £50m to bring in a couple of defenders, which is unlikely to be enough.

1 of 25

For which club did Alonso make his Prem debut?

Sevilla’s Jules Kounde, who is thought to be one of Chelsea’s top defensive targets, is expected to cost £50m alone.

With N’Golo Kante and Jorginho both out of contract next June, though, while the former has had a lot of injury problems in recent years, Tuchel could definitely do with the arrival of a new midfielder.

Ultimately, there is a lot of work for Chelsea to do in this upcoming transfer window, so it is going to be interesting to see how Tuchel spends the £200m he is going to be given.

News Now - Sport News