Shevchenko last defended her title at UFC 266 against Lauren Murphy, and this upcoming bout against Santos will be her seventh title defence.
In previous years, the 34-year-old fighter has appeared in the octagon at least twice a year, but the gap between UFC 266 and UFC 275 is the longest she has ever had “off” from active competition.
Here is what UFC Flyweight Champion Valentina Shevchenko recently said about her nine-month layoff ahead of her UFC 275 fight against Taila Santos.
Valentina Shevchenko on UFC layoff
Speaking to MMA Fighting, Shevchenko revealed that an injury and travelling were the reasons for her inactivity.
She said: “It was a little injury that I had in my foot after the last fight, and it required four weeks with no training, no bothering [the] foot. But it’s been fine, it’s healed all the way up. And then we travelled to Kyrgyzstan.
“For four months we were visiting home. It’s definitely a little delayed this time. Then, when I was ready, it was in February. I reached out to UFC and said, ‘I am ready now.’ This (June 11th 2022) was the date I was offered.”
Full Fight Card UFC 275
Here is the full scheduled fight card for UFC 275 as of writing on Wednesday 25th May 2022, according to the official UFC website:
- Ramona Pascual v Joselyne Edwards – Women’s Bantamweight Bout
- Orion Cosce v Blood Diamond – Welterweight Bout
- Silvana Gomez Juarez v Liang Na – Women’s Strawweight Bout
- Kang Kyung-Ho v Danaa Batgerel – Bantamweight Bout
- Steve Garcia v Hayisaer Maheshate – Lightweight Bout
- Brendan Allen vs Jacob Malkoun – Middleweight Bout
- Seung Woo Choi v Joshua Culibao – Featherweight Bout
- Ramazan Emeev v Jack Della Maddalena – Welterweight Bout
- Rogerio Bontorin v Manel Kape – Flyweight Bout
- Zhang Weili v Joanna Jedrzejczyk – Women’s Strawweight Bout
- UFC Women’s Flyweight Championship: Valentina Shevchenko (c) v Taila Santos
- UFC Light Heavyweight Championship: Glover Teixeira (c) v Jiri Prochazka
You can find all of the latest UFC news and rumours right here at GiveMeSport.