Chelsea have announced that an investment group led by Todd Boehly and Clearlake Capital have bought the club.
Boehly said in a statement from the club: “We are honoured to become the new custodians of Chelsea Football Club. We’re all in – 100% — every minute of every match.
“Our vision as owners is clear: we want to make the fans proud. Along with our commitment to developing the youth squad and acquiring the best talent, our plan of action is to invest in the Club for the long-term and build on Chelsea’s remarkable history of success.
“I personally want to thank ministers and officials in the British government, and the Premier League, for all their work in making this happen.”
The Sun reported earlier this month that Boehly and his consortium are worth a combined £10.86 billion.
That makes them considerably richer than Abramovich, with the former Chelsea owner believed to be worth £6 billion, per the Times.
But how wealthy are Chelsea’s new owners compared to other owners in the Premier League?
Using data provided by talkSPORT in October 2021, as well as other sources, we’ve ranked every Premier League club’s owners from ‘poorest’ to richest below…
20. Brentford – Matthew Benham (£3m)
19. Leeds – Andrea Radrizzani (£344m)
18. Nottingham Forest – Evangelos Marinakis (£505m) (Per the Mirror)
17. Brighton – Tony Bloom (£765m)
16. Bournemouth – Maxim Denim (£900m) (Per the Mirror)
15. West Ham – David Sullivan and David Gold (£1.62bn)
14. Everton – Farhad Moshiri (£1.9bn)
13. Liverpool – John Henry (£2.14bn)
12. Southampton – Gao Jisheng (£2.3bn)
11. Leicester – Aiyawatt Srivaddhanaprabha (£2.9bn)
10 Crystal Palace – Joshua Harris (£3.36bn)
9. Manchester United – The Glazers (£3.5bn)
8. Tottenham – Joe Lewis (£3.6bn)
7. Wolves – Guo Guangchang (£4.5bn)
6. Aston Villa – Nassef Sawiris (£5.3bn)
5. Fulham – Shahid Khan (£5.8bn) (Per The Mirror)
4. Arsenal – Stan Kroenke (£6.35bn)
3. Chelsea – Todd Boehly and Clearlake Capital (£10.86 billion) (Per the Sun)
2. Man City – Sheikh Mansour (£22.9bn)
1. Newcastle – Saudi Public Investment Fund (£320bn)
Chelsea now have the third richest owners in the Premier League.
Newcastle’s owners are 21x richer than their new owners, though.
Fulham were recently promoted to the Premier League and are likely to splash the cash, with Khan the seventh richest owner in England’s top tier.
Liverpool’s owner, John Henry, is worth £2.14 billion, making him the Premier League’s 14th richest owner.
Brentford’s owner, Matthew Benham, is worth ‘just’ £3m. That just goes to show how well run the club have been under his ownership.