The Three Lions have talent all over the pitch and have the potential to lift the trophy.
England found out their group stage opponents when the draw was made in April.
Gareth Southgate’s side were drawn in Group B alongside Iran and USA. Wales beat Ukraine in June to complete the group.
Many thought that England had got off lightly when the draw was made.
However, a study has emerged which goes against that idea.
Twitter user @datatec_ has ranked every group from strongest to weakest. They’ve looked at each team’s FIFA world ranking and given each group an average ranking.
They’ve created a graphic which displays the information. Interestingly, England’s group is actually the strongest of them all. View their graphic below…
Ecuador se ubica en el grupo más fácil del mundial pic.twitter.com/1AehKh1r9T— Tech Data (@datatec_) June 14, 2022
Every World Cup group ranked by difficulty:
1. Group A: England, USA, Iran, Wales (Average world ranking: 14.5)
2. Group E: Spain, Germany, Japan, Costa Rica (Average world ranking: 18.25)
3. Group G: Brazil, Switzerland, Serbia, Cameroon (Average world ranking: 19.25)
4. Group F: Belgium, Croatia, Morocco, Canada (Average world ranking: 20)
5. Group C: Argentina, Mexico, Poland, Saudi Arabia (Average world ranking: 22)
6. Group D: France, Denmark, Tunisia, Australia (Average world ranking: 22.75)
7: Group H: Portugal, Uruguay, South Korea, Ghana (Average world ranking: 27.5)
8. Group A: Netherlands, Senegal, Ecuador, Qatar (Average world ranking: 31.5)
England have actually been placed in the ‘Group of Death’, according to the data.
Based on the world rankings Iran are the weakest team in the group (21st). Wales have the third highest world ranking (18th) with USA in second (15th).
Maybe it wasn’t a very good draw for England after all…
The second strongest group is Group E (Spain, Germany, Japan, Costa Rica) with Group G third strongest (Brazil, Switzerland, Serbia, Cameroon).
Arsenal to COMPLETE Gabriel Jesus? Fabrizio Romano Updates | The Football Terrace
While the weakest group is Group A (Netherlands, Senegal, Ecuador, Qatar). The four teams have an average world ranking of 31.5.
The competition is just under five months away. The first game will see Africa Cup of Nations champions Senegal take on the Netherlands on November 21.
England kick-start their campaign a day later against Iran.
End of season quiz: How much do you remember about the 2021/22 campaign?