Aston Villa are unlikely to sign Burnley central defender Nathan Collins because head coach Steven Gerrard is ‘prioritising other areas’ at Villa Park, according to Daily Express journalist Ryan Taylor.
The Midlands outfit have been busy in the transfer market, with deals being struck for Philippe Coutinho, Boubacar Kamara, Diego Carlos and Robin Olsen, but Collins has also been on Gerrard’s radar.
What’s the latest news involving Collins?
According to talkSPORT, Villa are among three Premier League clubs monitoring Collins ahead of potentially testing Burnley’s resolve.
The report suggests Leeds United and Wolverhampton Wanderers are further admirers of the £9million-rated star.
It means Collins could be offered a quick route back into the top flight after suffering relegation to the Championship on the final day of last season.
But the 21-year-old has refused to get bogged down by the drop as he grabbed his first Republic of Ireland goal to enable his homeland to draw with Ukraine in a Nations League meeting earlier this month.
International boss Stephen Kenny clearly believes the centre-half deserves an instant return to the Premier League as he claimed Collins has been ‘exceptional’ and ‘his decision making is remarkable’.
What has Ryan Taylor said about Collins?
Taylor has doubts as to whether Gerrard will look to prise Collins away from Burnley ahead of the transfer window’s deadline on September 1.
Darwin Nunez to Liverpool! Done Deal! Hear more on The Football Terrace…
The journalist feels the Villa chief is focused on strengthening his squad in other positions rather than bolstering his backline.
However, he does understand that Collins has been the subject of interest from top flight clubs thanks to his stellar performances.
Taylor told GIVEMESPORT: “I think Villa are prioritising other areas. But I do think there’s Premier League interest in Collins, who finished the season really strongly.”
Why is Gerrard prioritising other areas of the pitch?
Gerrard has already spent big in order to bring in a centre-half this summer, with Carlos making the £26million switch from La Liga side Sevilla.
He also bolstered his options during the January transfer window as Calum Chambers made the move from Arsenal.
Having Carlos and Chambers on board, along with Tyrone Mings, Ezri Konsa and Kortney Hause, means Gerrard already has five central defenders at his disposal heading into the upcoming campaign.
With him only having one left-back in the form of Lucas Digne, following Matt Targett’s permanent exit for Newcastle United, it is likely the Midlands side’s boss would be more inclined to recruit in that area of the backline.