Spurs have already splashed the cash on Richarlison and Yves Bissouma this summer, while Ivan Perisic and Fraser Forster have joined as free agents, but Lenglet is on the brink of becoming the north Londoners’ latest addition.
What’s the latest news involving Lenglet?
According to transfer guru Fabrizio Romano, Tottenham are hopeful of completing Lenglet’s loan arrival from Barcelona imminently.
It is understood that the Premier League side have reached an agreement over personal terms with the 15-cap France international and the final details are being rubber-stamped between the two clubs.
Spanish sources claim Lenglet has been given permission by Barcelona to complete his season-long loan switch to the Tottenham Hotspur Stadium.
The north Londoners will reportedly fork out more than £6million to cover a substantial chunk of the 27-year-old’s wages.
The agreement will see Barcelona pay the remaining £4.3million of Lenglet’s pay package during his time away from the Nou Camp.
What has Ben Jacobs said about Lenglet?
Jacobs believes there is a strong chance that Spurs head coach Antonio Conte will continue to scour the market for another defender regardless of whether the deal for Lenglet gets over the line.
The journalist feels securing the Frenchman’s services on loan, rather than permanently, gives the north Londoners scope to discover a long-term option before the transfer window shuts on September 1.
Darwin Nunez to Liverpool! Done Deal! Hear more on The Football Terrace…
When asked whether Spurs could sign another centre-back after Lenglet’s capture, Jacobs told GIVEMESPORT: “Yes, it’s very possible. The thing about Lenglet is it would be a loan deal.
“They would still have financial capability to get another one in. It wouldn’t surprise me at all if two defenders come in.”
Why would Spurs look to sign another centre-back?
Although Lenglet has bags of experience, having made 314 appearances over the course of his club career, he will only be a short-term fix by joining on loan.
Additionally, Spurs went into the transfer window after the Italian had already made the arrival of a left-sided central defender a priority, leading to the likes of Josko Gvardiol, Alessandro Bastoni, Sven Botman and Nico Schlotterbeck being targeted.
Drafting in another option would result in Ben Davies no longer having to fill in as the third member of the backline, like he did more than 30 times following Conte’s arrival last season.