Chelsea have agreed personal terms with Sevilla centre-back Jules Koundé according to CBS reporter Ben Jacobs when speaking to GiveMeSport on Tuesday, although a move to Barcelona may now be in the offing.
What’s the latest on Koundé?
Sevilla’s director of football Monchi spoke to Mundo Deportivo earlier in July, suggesting that a number of clubs (including sides from England) were interested in signing Koundé this summer, before name dropping Chelsea in the interview.
However, the La Liga side’s chief also told the outlet that Barcelona head coach Xavi was a big admirer of the 23-year-old.
According to the Mirror, Chelsea have held an interest in Koundé for some time, and it’s likely that the Premier League side will strike a deal for multiple centre-backs this summer, following the departure of the aforementioned duo.
And Jacobs believes that there is a definite interest from the west London club for the 11-time France international, though there is a chance the deal could fall apart if it does not get concluded quickly.
What has Jacobs said about Koundé?
He told GIVEMESPORT: “Sevilla want almost £60m.
“Chelsea have agreed personal terms but the longer this one drags the more likely the deal could be hijacked by another club.”
“Koundé wants his future resolved soon and there is still little progress being made between Chelsea and Sevilla.”
Will Koundé join Chelsea?
Whilst Chelsea are likely to go for more than one centre-back this summer, there is a chance that the longer the deal goes on for Koundé, the more likely Tuchel’s side are going to move on to other targets this summer, with the Premier League kick-off now less than a month away.
Fabrizio Romano also suggests that Chelsea are also working on a bid for their former centre-back Nathan Aké, with the Netherlands international currently plying his trade at Manchester City.
However, there is no doubt that Tuchel wouldn’t begrudge the signing of Koundé, and if Chelsea could get a deal over the line for the £54m-rated centre-back, the club could start to look at other areas of the pitch they could strengthen.
Whilst it seems that other centre-back targets are closer to a move to Stamford Bridge than the Sevilla man, his arrival in west London should not be ruled out because of this and come August, Chelsea may have a new look defence on their hands.