France have produced some incredible strikers since the turn of millenium.
At the start of the 21st century, Thierry Henry and David Trezeguet were terrorising defences across the world, the latter scoring a dramatic Golden Goal winner for Les Bleus in the Euro 2000 final.
After their powers started to wane towards the very end of the 2000s, Karim Benzema burst onto the scene and he’s arguably playing the best football of his distinguished career in the present day.
The 34-year-old embodied the phrase ‘ageing like a fine wine’ at Real Madrid in 2021/22 and will almost certainly win the 2022 Ballon d’Or.
As well as Benzema, Henry and Trezeguet, you have other great French strikers from the 21st century like Antoine Griezmann, Olivier Giroud and Alexandre Lacazette.
Oh and, of course, there’s Kylian Mbappe, who may very well end up being viewed as the best of the lot in the future.
Why do we say that? Well, at the age of just 23, the Paris Saint-Germain superstar has already achieved so much.
He’s scored in a World Cup final triumph also has the honour of possessing the best goals-per-game record among French players in the 21st century.
Yes, even better than both Henry and Benzema, miles better in fact – at the time of writing anyway.
Take a look at all the numbers provided by the folks over at PopFoot below…
The 20 France players with the best goals-per-game in the 21st century
20. Ludovic Ajorque | 83 goals | 0.33 goals-per-game
19. Gaetan Laborde | 101 goals | 0.33 goals-per-game
18. Loic Remy | 149 goals | 0.33 goals-per-game
17. Louis Saha | 177 goals | 0.33 goals-per-game
16. Kevin Gameiro | 226 goals | 0.34 goals-per-game
15. Antoine Griezmann | 270 goals | 0.38 goals-per-game
14. Anthony Modeste | 177 goals | 0.40 goals-per-game
13. Alexandre Lacazette | 203 goals | 0.41 goals-per-game
12. Djibril Cisse | 258 goals | 0.41 goals-per-game
11. Olivier Giroud | 299 goals | 0.41 goals-per-game
10. Odsonne Edouard | 92 goals | 0.42 goals-per-game
9. Moussa Dembele | 136 goals | 0.44 goals-per-game
8. Guillaume Hoarau | 241 goals | 0.44 goals-per-game
7. Andre-Pierre Gignac | 315 goals | 0.44 goals-per-game
6. Thierry Henry | 411 goals | 0.45 goals-per-game
5. Bafetimbi Gomis | 327 goals | 0.46 goals-per-game
4. Wissam Ben Yedder | 226 goals | 0.47 goals-per-game
3. David Trezeguet | 307 goals | 0.49 goals-per-game
2. Karim Benzema | 426 goals | 0.50 goals-per-game
- Kylian Mbappe | 225 goals | 0.67 goals-per-game
Yeah, it’s not even close at the top…
Mbappe has scored 170 goals in just 216 games at PSG, while he’s already bagged 27 on international duty.
If the future Ballon d’Or winner doesn’t surpass Henry’s record tally of 51 for France in his career, it will be an almighty shock.