Man Utd: £50m 'gem' was 'genuine target' at Old Trafford

Manchester United boss Erik ten Hag acknowledges the crowd

Manchester United‘s interest in Red Bull Salzburg striker Benjamin Sesko was “genuine”, according to Daily Express journalist Ryan Taylor.

The 19-year-old had been linked with a move to Old Trafford this summer, but he is now set to join RB Leipzig in 2023.

GiveMeSport Transfer News
GiveMeSport Transfer News

What is the latest news involving Sesko?

GOAL recently reported that United were interested in signing both Sesko and Bologna’s Marko Arnautovic as Erik ten Hag looks to improve his attack. However, he has now signed for Leipzig and will link-up with them for the 2023/24 season.

It was a difficult afternoon for the likes of Marcus Rashford and Jadon Sancho last Sunday as the Red Devils fell to a 2-1 defeat to Brighton, with that sole goal coming thanks to Alexis Mac Allister turning the ball into his own net.

Clearly, Ten Hag feels he needs offensive reinforcements. However, Sesko is now off the table, while GOAL also claimed that Salzburg wanted £50m from United for their rising star anyway, a price they probably would have been reluctant to pay for a 19-year-old.

What has Taylor said about Sesko and United?

Taylor has told GIVEMESPORT that United did have an interest in Sesko.

When asked if the forward was someone who the Manchester club were looking at, the Daily Express journalist said: “Definitely, I think Sesko is someone who was a genuine target for United because not only is he a player that would have given them an attractive option in the squad this season, but he’s a big player for the future.

“We’ve seen with Salzburg the likes of [Erling] Haaland, [Patson] Daka, [Takumi] Minamino, Hwang Hee-chan, [Dominik] Szoboszlai, these are all players that, within a few years, became respectable stars, and I think Sesko is among the finest of them all under Haaland. Haaland was obviously a freak of nature, but Sesko is very much a gem.”

Should United have signed Sesko?

At 19, Sesko obviously has a lot of potential. And, as Taylor mentioned, he could have offered United something now and in the future.

Ten Hag is already without Anthony Martial, who missed the recent loss against Brighton due to injury, while Cristiano Ronaldo was not ready to start the fixture after missing a large chunk of pre-season.

Simply put, perhaps they could have done with having another forward like Sesko around.

1 of 15
Colin McKee - Man United

Do you know this obscure Manchester United footballer from the 1990s?

With all of that being said, £50m is a lot of money to spend on a teenager, while United may need someone more proven if Ronaldo ends up departing Old Trafford this summer. The Times, of course, reported last month that the 37-year-old had asked to leave the club.

If they could have got Sesko for a lower price while retaining Ronaldo, though, then the Slovenia international could have been a smart addition.

News Now - Sport News