The Blues have already spent close to £170million on fresh faces since the summer window opened for business, but head coach Thomas Tuchel could add even more reinforcements ahead of the September 1 deadline.
What’s the latest news involving Gordon?
Chelsea have been frustrated in their initial efforts to sign Gordon as they have seen a £40million bid rejected by Everton.
Although it is understood that the Toffees are eager to hold onto the 21-year-old, Chelsea are expected to return to Merseyside with an improved offer – potentially worth £50m according to Football Insider.
Everton reportedly could be persuaded into sanctioning his departure for the right price as boss Frank Lampard is keen to raise funds to reinvest in his squad.
Last season proved to be the academy product’s breakthrough campaign, with him scoring four goals and registering a further three assists in 40 appearances.
Gordon has also played every minute of Everton’s first two fixtures of the new term, including against Chelsea on the opening day.
What has Dean Jones said about Gordon?
Jones understands that Chelsea are looking to land Gordon ahead of the transfer window slamming shut.
However, the journalist has doubts over whether he would truly improve Tuchel’s squad.
Jones told GIVEMESPORT: “They are looking at other players and Anthony Gordon’s an interesting one.
“On the face of it, it doesn’t seem like he would change an awful lot right now. He’s obviously a very good player and a big breakout from that Everton squad, but his numbers don’t suggest that he can give Tuchel what he needs right now.
“Tuchel needs players who can produce high numbers of goals and assists. Anthony Gordon hasn’t really had time to show that he can do that yet.
“There’s interesting things to be made and Chelsea are still going to give that one a go.”
Has Gordon been linked with any other clubs?
It is understood that Newcastle United have identified Gordon as a target and they have been in contact with Everton.
The Magpies are reportedly preparing to make a fresh approach for the winger, having previously submitted an unsuccessful £35million bid, meaning Chelsea are facing competition for his services.
Tottenham Hotspur made a £100million offer for Gordon and Richarlison earlier in the transfer window.
But, after that was pushed back by Everton, the north Londoners only returned to sign Richarlison.