Newcastle now ‘expecting progress’ on £88m transfer targets at St James’ Park

Newcastle United manager Eddie Howe

Newcastle United supporters should expect progress on transfer deals soon as we enter the final weeks of the summer window, according to journalist Dean Jones.

Eddie Howe has overseen a relatively quiet few months of business at St James’ Park but will be eager to add to his side ahead of the September 1 deadline.

What is the latest transfer news from Newcastle?

Strengthening the front line appears to be the number one aim for Howe and the Magpies’ board at the moment. Watford recently rejected a £17.5 million offer for striker Joao Pedro while Rennes marksman Gaetan Laborde is also on their radar.

Elsewhere, The Sun have reported that Newcastle have made Chelsea midfielder Conor Gallagher their number one target for the remainder of the transfer window, with a £40 million price tag currently set on the 22-year-old.

Gallagher is not the only Chelsea star on their radar either, with various reports also linking them to Armando Broja, Callum Hudson-Odoi, Christian Pulisic and Ross Barkley this summer, valued at a combined £88 million by Transfermarkt.

Portuguese outlet O Jogo have stated that Benfica striker Goncalo Ramos is a target too and the North East side are ready to match their asking price.

1 of 7
Valentino Lazaro - Newcastle United

Do you know this obscure player Newcastle signed in the January transfer window?

What has Jones said on Newcastle’s transfer plans?

Jones understands that there should be progress in the club’s pursuit of new signings this week, with four names looked at.

The transfer insider says that the Chelsea quartet are all among their targets as they seek out opportunities to strengthen.

Jones told GIVEMESPORT: “I think we can expect some progress. Both Pulisic and Hudson-Odoi have been looked at, so have Broja and Barkley, so Newcastle are just open to any good deals that are potentially out there that could boost their push for top seven.”

Do Newcastle need to strengthen further?

So far only three new faces have arrived at St James’ Park this summer in the form of Nick Pope, Sven Botman and Matt Targett.

But it is clear their attack needs bolstering. Howe is reportedly open to letting Allan Saint-Maximin leave before the deadline so bringing in a right-winger should be a priority.

Elsewhere, a new striker should also be high on the list. Callum Wilson has shown he has the quality to score goals for Newcastle but his injury record highlights a need for support and Chris Wood is yet to show he is up to the task, scoring just twice in 18 appearances so far.

News Now - Sport News