Ronaldo’s Manchester United future has been in doubt for many weeks after reports emerged suggesting he wanted to leave Old Trafford.
And those reports have only intensified after United’s slow start to the campaign and Ronaldo’s behaviour in the last few weeks.
So far, we’ve heard very little from Ronaldo himself regarding his future.
However, he replied to a fan’s Instagram post on Tuesday night to accuse the media of telling lies.
Ronaldo accuses the media of telling lies
He wrote: “They know the truth when they interview in a couple weeks. The media is telling lies.
“I have a notebook and in the last few months of the 100 news I made, only 5 were right. Imagine how it is. Stick with that tip.”
"The media is telling lies." – Cristiano Ronaldo on Instagram 😮— ESPN FC (@ESPNFC) August 16, 2022
(via cr7.o_lendario/IG) pic.twitter.com/cDVFx3zg0G
We look forward to that interview if it does take place…
But why wait two weeks until the end of the transfer window?
Why not reveal it all now and let Man United fans know exactly what’s going on?
Gary Neville responds to Cristiano Ronaldo
That’s what Gary Neville wants to know anyway as he responded to Ronaldo on social media.
Neville wrote: “Why does the greatest player of all time (in my opinion) have to wait two weeks to tell Manchester United fans the truth? Stand up now and speak. The club is in crisis and it needs leaders to lead. He’s the only one who can grab this situation by the scruff of the neck!”
Why does the greatest player of all time (in my opinion) have to wait two weeks to tell Manchester United fans the truth? Stand up now and speak. The club is in crisis and it needs leaders to lead. He’s the only one who can grab this situation by the scruff of the neck!— Gary Neville (@GNev2) August 17, 2022
Even Neville appears to be losing patience with Ronaldo’s behaviour.
Erik ten Hag is planning on Ronaldo staying
However, as things stand, Ronaldo is still a United player and there don’t appear to be many suitable destinations for the 37-year-old.
And United boss Erik ten Hag has insisted he’s planning for the five-time Ballon d’Or winner to still be at the club beyond the transfer window.
“We are planning with Cristiano Ronaldo for this season and that’s it,” Ten Hag said. “I’m looking forward to working with him.
“I don’t know [how to make him happy], he hasn’t told me this. But Cristiano Ronaldo is not for sale, he’s in our plans and we want to get success together.”