Luke Rockhold will be heading to the octagon on Saturday, August 20th 2022 to face Paulo Costa in the co-main event of UFC 278, and his former fierce rival Michael Bisping, who trains in the same gym as the US-based competitor, has now given an insight into his MMA training.
A win at UFC 278 would be massive for the 185-pound fighter, as Costa is currently ranked #6 in the division and it could really put a dent in the top end of the Middleweight roster dominated by Israel Adesanya.
Here is what Michael Bisping had to say with regards to Luke Rockhold’s training for UFC 278 ahead of the massive PPV fight night.
Bisping on Luke Rockhold vs Paulo Costa
Speaking on BT Sport’s UFC 278 Preview Show (via MMANews), Bisping said that whilst Rockhold still appears to have the explosive pace he had previously, it’s all about whether he still has the motivation to fight at such a fight level.
He said: “Chins do have an expiration date. Has he reached that or is he just taking massive shots off massive punchers? We don’t know… This is a dangerous fight for Luke Rockhold,”
“But I see him in the gym and I see what he’s doing. He’s still got it. He’s still fast as ever. He’s still as explosive. The problem is motivation. Has he still got it? He’s not a spring chicken.
“He’s been training, but there’s been good days and bad days. He hasn’t been consistently pushing himself throughout it. One of the things that Jason says is obviously he’s looking good here and there, but he hasn’t been sparring enough.
“Sparring is key… I think Rockhold needs to spar. I think he needs to blow off some of those cobwebs.”
UFC 278 – Rockhold vs Costa
For context, here is the full lineup for UFC 278 as confirmed by the official UFC website on Wednesday, August 17th 2022:
- Daniel Da Silva vs Victor Altamirano – Flyweight Bout
- Aoriqileng vs Jay Perrin – Bantamweight Bout
- Amir Albazi vs Francisco Figueiredo – Flyweight Bout
- AJ Fletcher vs Ange Loosa – Welterweight Bout
- Miranda Maverick vs Shanna Young – Women’s Flyweight Bout
- Sean Woodson vs Luis Saldana – Featherweight Bout
- Wu Yanan vs Lucie Pudilova – Women’s Bantamweight Bout
- Leonardo Santos vs Jared Gordon – Lightweight Bout
- Tyson Pedro vs Harry Hunsucker – Light Heavyweight Bout
- Marcin Tybura vs Alexandr Romanov – Heavyweight Bout
- Jose Aldo vs Merab Dvalishvili – Bantamweight Bout
- Paulo Costa vs Luke Rockhold – Middleweight Bout
- Kamaru Usman (c) vs Leon Edwards – Main Event UFC Welterweight Championship Bout
You can find all of the latest UFC news and MMA news right here at GiveMeSport